Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Missing Evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsmilz

If the los angeles police department seized my personal property as evidence for a criminal case and gave the evidence to a private corporation to hold until my trial and the statue of limitations expired for the court to officially file charges and I cant get my personal property seized as evidence returned because it is "missing" can i sue the city as a state entity and name the private company as an additional defendant?

If the los angeles police department seized my personal property as evidence for a criminal case and gave the evidence to a private corporation to hold until my trial and the statue of limitations expired for the court to officially file charges and I cant get my personal property seized as evidence returned because it is "missing" can i sue the city as a state entity and name the private company as an additional defendant?
You can sue anyone for anything. That does not mean you can prevail.

So, first off, what kind of "evidence" was seized by the police and turned over to a "private corporation?" Just what or who is this corporation? I am having a hard time conceiving of just what corporation the police would turn evidence over to.

Second, how do you know the SOL has expired? Is the alleged offense a misdemeanor? A felony? What kind of crime?

*IF* the property seized is YOUR property, and you can get a court to agree that it is your property, then if the police or the other entity failed to take due care of the property you can likely recover damages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back