Medical Malpractice Missed diagnosis of broken bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

washingtonstate

I was on a trip to San Francisco and fell in an outdoor area after someone failed to clean up a spilled drink properly. I ended up breaking a bone in my foot and I didn't know it. While it hurt very badly, I had to keep walking to get out of the area and eventually to the car. I ended up going to a hospital to get it checked out. They took some x-rays and told me it was probably just a bad sprain and that I shouldn't walk too much but I should be fine. I took their advice and walked a little but it kept hurting quite badly. So after a few days I just stopped altogether. When I got home back to my place in Seattle, I went again to a doctor because it had gotten worse. The doctor requested my x-rays and said that I definitely broke bones in my foot and that I made the injury much worse by walking on it. What is liability for these doctors in California? My problem now went from having a little matter of a few weeks to probably needing surgery to correct the bone damage from walking on it and it will take many months.

They likely have no liability. They gave a reasonable assessment based on the information they had. You would have to prove they acted with negligence which is very unlikely. If they believed it was a sprain they would have no need to order xrays and charge you more.
This is why people have insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back