Misrepresented

Lcg228231

Jurisdiction
Georgia
My sister went to a bankruptcy lawyer to handle her case and she was misrepresented. They deducted funds from out of her paycheck and preceded to represent her. Well she received a typed note taped to her door that stated her house was sold at an auction. She initially wanted to sell but decided to wait at a later date. She received many offers. But decided to stay. When she called the attorney about what happened. They made many excuses and decided to blame her. She had evidence of all the correspondence between she and the office, even the clerk started covering for her boss once she found she had no more defense. She reported this attorney to the bar association but I am wondering does she have cause for litigation?

I am wondering does she have cause for litigation?

If she is as curious as you are, she might wish to speak to at least THREE local attorneys.

Most attorneys offer an initial consultation at no cost to potential clients.
This consultation provides a great opportunity for someone to tell her/his story, ask questions, and allows the attorney to evaluate the facts in an effort to determine if the prospective client has a remedy under law.

She should take all documents, contracts, retainers, receipts, and notes pursuant to the matter at hand when she visits the lawyer.

That allows the attorney to review the matter further.

She reported this attorney to the bar association

Just FYI, attorney complaints are handled by the State Bar of Georgia. If, in fact, she complained to a "bar association," then she complained to the wrong entity.

I am wondering does she have cause for litigation?

We obviously have no way of assessing the merits of your sister's claim based on your post. If she wants to pursue something, she'll have to consult with an attorney who handles malpractice claims

Back