Misrepresentation of Pre-owned Car as New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genny

I purchased a new 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe from a car dealership in Feb 04. Last week I scheduled a service appointment and found that my car was not titled in my name after a year and half following the purchase. The service dept said it was titled to another person. As you can imagine, I was flabbergasted since I thought I was the first owner of the car. I purchased a Carfax report and discovered that my car had two previous owners and was titled as a fleet car. When I looked at the contract I had signed, it did in fact have a very small box that was checked used. At the time, I believed that it meant it was not a current year model. It was an unexcusable oversight on my part, but I had no reason to believe that I was purchasing a pre-owned car. Both the salesman and the dealership owner were fully aware that I was only interested in a new car. Never in there sales presentation was there a mention it was pre-owned. Because it was a major concern for me, I unequivocally asked if the car would be covered under the full warranty since it was a 2003 model and not a current year model. The question was not whether the warranty covered a pre-owned car.

I probably don't have any recourse here except for the fact that I would have negotiated the price of the car entirely different or I might not have purchased the car at all had I been told all the facts. I believe the reprehensible conduct that the dealership engaged in was less than shady and disregarded the fact that I had negotiated in good faith.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and the Attorney Gerneral's office and plan to write to Hyundai Motor Co. as well as to the local newspaper.

Any other suggestions or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Genny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back