Appeal, Pardon, Motion, Writ Misdemeanor Warrant for not completing 25 hrs Com Svc in FL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyursomnny

Hello,

First time here, hope I selected the correct categories. I'll mentioned first that this occurred in Manatee County in Florida. As the title says, I am inquiring about a Warrant that was issued for me. I'll attempt to keep the details specific. I was issued a summons to appear for a reckless driving charge (NON alcohol related with no accident/damage or injuries, just pulled over). I hired an attorney and plead the case out. Was given 6 months probation, fine and court cost to pay, and issued 25 hrs of community service. I had to basically send a one page letter in monthly to my probation officer filling out a few questions, which i always did timely for the 6 months. I never actually saw him in person after our first meeting. I paid my court costs and fines in full (which totaled about $$450). However I never did the community service. I know, completely unacceptable.

With that being explained, upon my 6 month probation coming up to an end, my PO contacted me by phone the friday morning before the monday it was set to expire (my probation) to tell me he had not received my paper with my community service, and because of which he was going to have to issue a warrrant for my arrest. He seemed very lackadaisical in his attitude about it, and also mentioned that I should finish it up and then go to the court and turn myself in, but mentioned something about how he had made some indication for the warrant that i was to be released on my own recognizance immediately? (I'm paraphrasing his words, but it was something to that effect).

Well this was actually about 2 years ago. As I mentioned eariler this occurred in Manatee County in Florida. I never ended up doing any of the community service, and I never went and contacted the court or "turned myself in. I was never contacted by the PO again, whether by phone or mail. As a day, turned into a week turned into a month and so on my anxiety over the situation dissipated, however being fully aware that the issue was still there. I continued living at the same address in Florida for the next year and a half, no one ever coming to find me or being contacted about it. This past December because of personal reasons I moved back to my home state of NY, and have now been living here since, for the past nearly 9 months.

About six months ago, 3 months after being back in NY, I received a postcard in the mail that was originally addressed to my prior address in Fl, and forwarded to my address in NY only because I had filled out a change of address form with the USPS, that was from the local sheriff's office that indicated that there was "a warrant for my arrest that had been obtained and if i could kindly contact the Manatee Co. Sheriff's dept it would be appreciated". Well needless to say again I didnt do anything about it. As I said it has now been about 6 months since receiving this card.

I have still not been contacted again about this since. I am just now coming to terms as to questioning how to go about handling this. I think I have provided all the information I can. I know the short answer is contact an attorney in that county and go from there. But I am destitute essentially at this time, living with family, etc. My general questions are in regards to things such as...If I ever get pulled over here in NY for a simple traffic violation will the misdemeanor arrest warrant for a probation violation show up and will i be arrested, or will it not because it is a different state? Is there still a chance someone may come knocking at my door any day, even in NY to arrest me? Can I be extradited to Florida over this? I've read completely conflicting info in regards to that in particular, a def yes, and a def no from ppl. And any other such issues which may be of relevance or importance.

Anyone willing to address my questions and concerns, as well as suggest some definitive advice, or a similar experience please share (Not looking for responses from ppl with no knowledge of the law, and theorizing what may come to pass, unless it is from an actual attorney or someone familiar with Fl and NY laws in regards to my EXACT circumstances).

I appreciate anyone who has taken the time to read this and thank in advance anyone who responds with some helpful insight!

Sure, you might get arrested in many jurisdictions, if stopped or investigated.
You might spend a few days in jail, or you might be released on recognizance.
Eventually, FL will say they won't be coming to get you.
States rarely extradite on misdemeanor warrants.
You'll likely lose your driving privileges, if that action hasn't already been taken.

In other jurisdictions, after checking further, they'll tell you what you already know and let you go.
Bottom line, same end result as above.
Your driving privileges could be lost.
You might have difficulty obtaining auto insurance.

I suggest you write the PO and the prosecutor.
Tell them your hard luck story, ask them to rescind the warrant and close out your case because despite the fact you failed to do the CS, you've lived an exemplary life.
It's a Hail Mary for sure, but with minimal funds, it's all you've got.

Barring the letter, and the fix, this'll hang over your headline a buzzing fly.
It won't harm you, as long as you stay out of FL.
Even then, it won't be a big deal, if you do.
You could get arrested, held, release, lectured, and e e rurally it'll all go away.

Good luck.

Wow, so he gave you an 11th hour warning to complete your community service and you still blew them off. Expect a warrant to be active for your arrest.

Wow, so he gave you an 11th hour warning to complete your community service and you still blew them off. Expect a warrant to be active for your arrest.

There is a warrant. But, it's of very limited consequence as long as the OP stays out of Florida.
The sword of Damocles seems to involve Florida's DMV revoking OP'S driving privileges and using the various state compacts to have NJ honor the revocation.

Isn't that French for arresting and holding him for about 3 weeks each time he comes in contact with law enforcement so he loses his job and home, to allow them time to extradite?

There is a warrant. But, it's of very limited consequence as long as the OP stays out of Florida.
The sword of Damocles seems to involve Florida's DMV revoking OP'S driving privileges and using the various state compacts to have NJ honor the revocation.

Isn't that French for arresting and holding him for about 3 weeks each time he comes in contact with law enforcement so he loses his job and home, to allow them time to extradite?

Unfortunately for OP, yes that is very likely to occur.
It's a very tangled web that he's woven for himself for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back