Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Misdemeanor Theft Charge

Tiffany wright

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I will try to explain thia the best I can.
Two years ago a friend and I did something really stupid and shoplifted from a store. After we left the store, we were pulled over. The police officers knew what we had done, and I returned the items (less than $20 worth). They let us go. They did not issue a ticket or tell me anything. So fast forward two years and I apply for a job. They did a background check and it came back that I had a misdemeanor charge for theft of property up to $1,000.00 So I called the courthouse, and the lady told me I needed to come turn myself in. My question is, how can this happen when I was never told ANYTHING. I was not working at the time and always home and I never got a court summons and nothing was ever said to me. I am wondering what I should do? Thank you!

I am wondering what I should do? Thank you!

If you want this issue to die, you have to address it.

How?

If you want to know if bond will be required, call any local bail bond agency and ask if a warrant exists for you, and how much is the bond, assuming a judge has already set bond.

In fact, I suggest you do this FIRST before doing anything.

=========================================

One other thing you might consider doing.

You could go Directly to the county jail in the county where the warrant was issued.

You ask the desk deputy to see if a warrant exists for you.

If it does you'll be arrested.
That doesn't mean you'll be incarcerated.
You'll be booked.
Once you're booked you'll be allowed to sign yourself out based on your promise to appear in court, or a bond might be required to get released.

You appear before a judge, plead NOT guilty, and wait for the trial.

When you appear in court, ask if you can receive a public defender, or inquire about diversionary sentencing programs.

Don't think this will go away, because it won't.

You must take care of this, which means you must get it through the system.

My question is, how can this happen when I was never told ANYTHING.

Needless to say, no one here has any information about your situation beyond what you shared with us, and a bunch of speculation about why this might have happened will be of no use to you.

I am wondering what I should do?

Consult with a local criminal defense attorney ASAP. The attorney can review court records and advise you.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. I would first seek out a lawyer BEFORE you surrender to Police. If you walk into any Police station they will likely arrest you on the spot and hold you in jail until court.

My question is, how can this happen when I was never told ANYTHING.

The police took a report of the theft, recovered the property, and apparently obtained confessions from you.
While they probably could have given you a citation at the time they didn't have to.
The report took a few weeks to make its way through the system until a prosecutor reviewed it and decided to issue the warrant.
No notice to you was required. You receive your notice when they arrest you with the warrant.
In my area a warrant like this would go directly to the bottom of the pile. Some warrants take years to serve and the person named has no idea the warrant exists.
The scenario you describe sounds perfectly normal to me.
It is very possible nothing will come of this. Talk to a defense attorney and don't be in a rush to do anything.

Last edited:
In a lot of places you may not be "arrested" by an officer coming by and putting you in cuffs and hauling you off to jail. You'll just get an order to appear in court and probably a demand that you come in for mugshots/fingerprints. Real life isn't always the way the cop shows go on TV.

Back