Misdemeanor Shoplifting

K

Kaitjb9661

Jurisdiction
Georgia
I am 17 years old, as of one month ago. 10 days after my birthday I was arrested for theft by shoplifting in an auto store after purchasing 200$ worth of stuff I stole an $11 item. I was never read my Miranda Rights & I have no record of breaking the law and have never done anything wrong. I was being stupid and didn't think I would get caught. I'm never going to break the law again but my question is, will they drug test me on my court date? And do you have any idea how much the fine would be? Please and Thank you

First of all, EVERY criminal defendant is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty.
The issue of a fine is far from a done deal, mate, if you are smart.
The last thing you need right now is another stupid act compounded on top of the prior stupid act.
So, what should you do?
You appear in court as instructed, be at least 30 minutes early, dress in business casual (or business dress attire), listen up when you arrive as the bailiff will announce a few very simple rules before the judge is announced and takes the bench.
Bring the citation you were issued and a notebook in which you can take notes about your case.

The prosecutor may call for you before the bailiff calls your name, so listen up.
Be polite to everyone, YES SIR, YES MA'AM, please, thank you, and a smile (not a grin), a smile.
When the judge or the bailiff call for you, move smartly to the well, speak only when spoken to, and don't interrupt while others are talking.
Don't anticipate the question, and try to answer BEFORE the person is done speaking.
Don't yammer on, try to say YES or NO, or the simplest answer possible.
Don't do what you did here, that's a killer.
You simply appear, plead NOT guilty, and ask the court if you qualify for a public defender.

Don't rush through this and demand to plead guilty right away.
Why?
Because you are a true FIRST timer, a VIRGIN, so to speak.
So, take your time, enjoy the experience, and learn from it so as NOT to ever break any of their laws so long as you take a breath.

Eventually the case might get dismissed, nolle prossed, or a diversionary program for criminal virgins will be offered.

Don't pepper people with questions, look, and learn, son - keep your yapper shut.

If convicted you should expect fines in the range of $500-1000 plus probation. You won't get jail time.

You can forget aboyt nobody telling you your rights. Unlike what you see on tv it is not always required. If you try to bring up that argument you'll be done before you begin.

If you hire legal counsel you can possibly minimize the damage, but it will cost you. You are only 17 so your parents are the decision makers.

I am 17 years old, as of one month ago. 10 days after my birthday I was arrested for theft by shoplifting in an auto store after purchasing 200$ worth of stuff I stole an $11 item. I was never read my Miranda Rights & I have no record of breaking the law and have never done anything wrong. I was being stupid and didn't think I would get caught. I'm never going to break the law again but my question is, will they drug test me on my court date? And do you have any idea how much the fine would be? Please and Thank you

Do they need to drug test you? Why are you worried about a drug test? You had $200 and stole $11? ...

No one can predict what will happen in court.

Back