Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Misdemeanor-Petty Theft ($5.25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skittlesj20

Two days ago I was arrested for shoplifting at Claire's here in Orlando,FL

What happen was:
I was shopping for jewerly for an event I had to go to. I picked out a necklace, bracelet and earrings. I had the bracelet in my hand was distracting talking on my cellphone. I guess when I went to put the cellphone back in my purse I dropped the bracelet too unaware that I had done so. I then went to the register to pay for what I had (earrings and necklace) and walked out of the store. Right then and there the store manager asked me to take the bracelet (valued at $5.25) out of my purse and come with her. From there she called the mall security and the police. She filled out and report and a no trepassing paper and took my picture. I was then arrested and taken to jail where I spent 8 hours and my father came to bail me out.

I have never been arrested before and have a clean record. They didnt tell me anything about what is going to happen in the jail. I just got a paper telling me of my charges and the statement of the officer from what the store manager. On the bottom of her statement it says that she wants to press charges and will testify in court if needed.

I am really scared and I know I have to plead not guilty when I go to court. But what I want to know what my options will be here in the state of Florida which I heard is very strict. I just want to be well informed so I dont take something that will leave a record for me. I am a college student who is looking to have a career and I know this can be awful if it stays on my record.

What can I do to possibly get the whole thing dropped?

Is pleading not guilty the only way of having a chance for it not to get put on my record?

Will I have to go to trial if I plead not guily?

And finally do I really need to get a public defense attorney?

Thank You

read some of the other posts in the forum, we ahd a lot of similar cases lately that were discussed here.

I personally always recommend getting a lawyer because he just knows the ins and outs of the criminal justice system much better that you can know them. And when you are in college, your whole later carreer is at stake, you definitely will try to avoid having a criminal record. Therefore a defense attorney is a smart investment.

The item was under $50 which is the limit for infraction/misdemeanor. You could probably talk with a public defender to get a petty theft infraction instead of a misdemeanor. I got an infraction, which I understand to be just like a ticket. Unfortunately you will be looking at some fines, assessments, and penalties. For me, a $40 item cost me almost $375 after fines and such. You could get a lawyer, but that would add to your costs. Someone here might be able to advise better, but you could probably go talk with the DA or something like that. Do a search on the internet under what you were charged with P.C. xxx and you will see exactly what you are looking towards in court.

COLOR=red]New Question:[/COLOR]

If I received a Pretrial Diversion Program letter and in the mail, should I go ahead and enter that program or should I just go ahead through the court system?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back