Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP: Wrongful Search?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip

Yesterday, I was pulled over for a broken headlight (I had just hit a deer.) As I was being issued a warning from a Texas DPS officer, he saw a "Rockstar" energy drink in the cupholder and apparantly thought it was an open beer. I was asked to get out of the vehicle as they searched on the basis of probable cause. They found vicodin in my glove compartment, and some tequila in my trunk. They also found what they believed to be crack (cookie crumbs) and cocaine (gum that i'm thinking crystalized). I was arrested for possession of a controlled substance and MIP. The crack/cocaine nonsense was dismissed after tests, a rigorous questioning, and a temper tantrum by the arresting officer who clearly wanted a big drug bust. The vicodin should also be dismissed b/c it was prescribed, although it was not in the prescription bottle - it was in an exedrin bottle so that I could leave the bulk of my meds at home.

Was this search legal? And if not, should the MIP charge be dropped as well?

My bond was set at $5000, and I was not allowed the opportunity for a lawyer until after it was set. Does this seem rediculous? Is this legal?

Finally, assuming that the search was deemed legal, what penalties should I expect?

That sucks

Well, man, first off I'm not an expert, but I have had some experience with asshole cops, and from what you're saying, no, this is not a reasonable search and seizure with probable cause, the tough part will be proving that to a judge. Hope you get a good lawyer to prove that the item in question the cop used to justify his search was not in fact an illegal substance for a minor to posess, and if they can get that across, the MIP should be tossed out seeing as anything found in your car would be inadmissable as evidence. Once again, don't take this as fact, I don't know that much, my advice is get out the yellow pages and call some lawyers and see if they can give u a little free legal advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back