Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication MIP Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIP123

I am 19 yrs old and recieved a MIP the other night for being at a party. I want to know the best way to plead (guilty, or no contest)? I would like to avoid getting my license suspended if at all possible. What is the typical punishment for a 1st time offender and no other offenses?

Any suggestions or stories about MIP punishments in Harris County, please post!

What state? Have you looked through the archives here? MIP questions come up all the time and you'll likely find an answer there.

A no contest plea normally results in a deferred disposition. This means that the judge does not make a judgment on your guilt, but places you on probation for a certain period (it cannot exceed six months). So long as you comply with the requirements imposed by the court during probation (usually some community service and attending an alcohol awareness program), the MIP complaint will be dropped and no conviction entered. However, the arrest will still appear on your record.
From: http://media.www.dailytexanonline.c...orcising.The.Minor.In.Possession-699672.shtml

A guilty plea, provided there aren't any previous convictions, produces similar results as that of no contest, only a conviction is entered on your record.

will a no contest plea give you lesser punishment than a guilty plea?
You must not understand the articles as it answers your question. You don't get a lesser punishment. AND the articles explain what you have to do on probabtion. You have to attend classes on alcohol awareness. Yes you get breathalyzer test and your PO will probably give you urinalaysis test for drugs. How often depends on on the type of probation/adjudication you get.

My understanding is they will suspend your license period for a certain amount of time. If you work or go to school they will suspend your license but allow you to go to and from work or school only. If you don't finish the alcohol awareness your license will be suspended for a lot longer period of time, perhaps until your 21.

Sec. 106.071. PUNISHMENT FOR ALCOHOL-RELATED OFFENSE BY MINOR
(2) the court shall order the Department of Public Safety to suspend the driver's license or permit of a minor convicted of an offense to which this section applies or, if the minor does not have a driver's license or permit, to deny the issuance of a driver's license or permit for:
(A) 30 days, if the minor has not been previously convicted of an offense to which this section applies;
(B) 60 days, if the minor has been previously convicted once of an offense to which this section applies; or
(C) 180 days, if the minor has been previously convicted twice or more of an offense to which this section applies.
If you complete the course you get your license back but if you don't complete the course they can extend the time the license is suspended.

Well, I honestly would wait until I talk to a lawyer. They know the judges and should know what the most probably outcome would be with them. Probably no contest though. On the first appearance, I would plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. This is not legal advice though...you need to see an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back