Criminal Law MIP-Can I still travel to other countries?

Not open for further replies.


New Member
I got a MIP 3 years ago. I am a U.S. citizen. I would like to know if I can get a passport and travel to other countries or if I need a lawyer to get a passport. I did not go to jail, just paid a fine got my license restricted and thats it. I am 21 now and want to go to Mexico or Canada. I may be screwed. Please help.
You would be okay........and you don't need a lawyer to get a passport even if you got MIP.
I found this on a passport website under Canada:
Anyone with a criminal record (including even misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)) charges may be barred from entering Canada and must qualify for a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel for further processing, which may take some time.
I guess It will take awhile to get a waiver. If I expunge (well, in Idaho you can get a witheld judgement, they do not expunge) it, it will still show up on the NCIC (I talked to a lawyer about getting the MIP expunged and he said it would still show up on that database but 20 lines down it would say expunged or witheld judgement because that database just updates records and never deletes them so if another crime is committed then they can see that it is not a first offense) so the canadian customs would still see it and keep me out.
Unless I get the waiver. I think I'm screwed.
I don't know how the NCIC deals with records..............But I know Canada accepts people with certain minor crimes which meet their law. I kwow DUI are a no no to them..........I can't tell what their limits are..........You can probably check online at their consulate or call them. They however do some waivers or permits even if you are not eligible but meet certain guidelines.
Just check their website...........I had posted it. If not call them and they would be glad to tell. They answer such questions everyday.
I still cannot find if Expungement is ok with canada
if one had no record, would they not ask at all. Do you know if there is any application form to get in canada?
Google it online or visit their embassy site..........You would get it there. I had posted their embassy sites before on your thread I think. Criminal records are a question on visa forms of pretty much all countries.
Not open for further replies.