Minor driving without a license in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

damoncatao

So i'm 16 years old, no permit and no license. I decided to pick up two of my friends at around 3 am and head to Taco Bell. I snuck out of my house and stole my Mom's truck. I had no prior driving experience behind the wheel. I got the hang of it quickly and picked up my friends. On our way to Taco Bell i went to make an illegal U-turn when a cop was driving toward me so i freaked out and went back on the right side of the road and he made a U-turn and he pulled me over. I'm being charged with driving without a license and driving without insurance. I want to know the consequences and how long I will have to wait to obtain a driver's license. I also have nothing on my record (I don't know if that helps me).

Last edited:
So i'm 16 years old, no permit and no license. I decided to pick up two of my friends at around 3 am and head to Taco Bell. I snuck out of my house and stole my Mom's truck. I had no prior driving experience behind the wheel. I got the hang of it quickly and picked up my friends. On our way to Taco Bell i went to make an illegal U-turn when a cop was driving toward me so i freaked out and went back on the right side of the road and he made a U-turn and he pulled me over. I'm being charged with driving without a license and driving without insurance. I want to know the consequences and how long I will have to wait to obtain a driver's license. I also have nothing on my record (I don't know if that helps me).

You need to be apologizing profusely, over and over and over and over, and all over again to mom.
You need to stay out of trouble.
You need to do well in school.
You'll more than likely get a good lecture from the judge, pay a fine, do some community service, and you MIGHT get your license when you're 18.
You won't get a license in any less than a year (12 months, maybe 18 months)!

You may not think so, but you're very lucky.

You also may want to understand how lucky you are that you did no get charged with felony auto theft. We got rid of our "joyriding" statute some time back, so auto theft is a real possibility under these circumstances even if it was mom's car.

Yes, your ability to get a license will likely be withheld for at least one year past when you might normally be eligible. If mom is on top of things, you won't get it until age 18. (If you were my kid, you wouldn't get it until you had a car that listed only YOU as the registered owner and you paid your own insurance ... but that's me.)

Keep yourself out of trouble, get good grades in school, stay out of trouble, and listen to mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back