Minimum Job Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

htope

I am a 42 yo disabled veteran. I live in Kentucky.
I recently applied for a security job which listed the following in the description of the job:
Job Type: General Labor
Req'd Education: High School
Req'd Experience: Less Than 1 Year
Division: Security

At the bottom of the page under "Requirements" it says:

# High school graduate or equivalent
# Previous security, military or law enforcement experience preferred

I interviewed for the job and the woman said she would be passing along those applicatons she "felt were qualified for the job."

I have nine years of military experience (Navy; Combat Systems Department) , was on the ships security force [leader team 1] which responsed to any apparent threats to ship security. I received expert medals with both pistol and rifle. I worked previously as a security guard/dispatcher for a local university for over two full years.

That said, I received a postcard from them Friday which said, "Thank you for your interest in employment with "company name". We have received your application and found that you do not meet the minimum qualifications of the job you've applied for.
Please feel free to visit our web site at "company URL" for jobs that you are better qualified for.
Thank you.

In the interview the woman asked if I had ever been fired or forced to resign from a job. I told here it depended on what story my previous employers told her. They told everyone I worked with that I quit, when I was actually fired.
I explained the previous situation, which is complicated. Long story short: I did exactly as my supervisors told me to one evening and the next day they said I insulted a woman and they were going to move me from my full time dispatcher job to full time security guard job. Since I did not insult anyone [and the woman they said complained said she did not when I spoke to her. In fact, she said they came over to her and asked her to file a complaint and she refused.] I refused to be disciplined for something I had not done and refused to go stand the guard watch. The "director" then said that they were an "at will employer" and fired me. BUT I had barely gotten out the door when they announced that I had quit. Even though the exact words of the "director" were, "We are an at will employer and we are going to do what we have to do. [I replied, "Yes sir. You do."] You need to turn your shirts in."
I do not remember if the application had a spot on it asking if I had a disability so it did not come up.

So, has this company violated any laws by saying I did not meet the qualifications, when I obviously did according to the classified job listing, by sending me this bogus postcard? To be more precise, when they list the job requirements can they use more than they post if they want once interviews start?

Thank you.

What you need to understand is that an employer will send out a standard letter to all applicants who are being turned down; they do not tailor them to the specific individual.

If they were looking for someone who had less than one years experience and you had nine years, then you were very likely OVERqualified and were turned down on those grounds. (Yes, that is perfectly legal.) But they weren't going to write a special letter just for you, because you happened to be overqualified and not underqualified.

I don't see anything in your post that gives you any kind of legal recourse. They are not required to hire the person with the most experience.

How very true it is that there is no requirement that the person with the most seniority or experience should get a position. They can claim that criteria of their selection could have been your personality, experience in a specific area, etc. Unless you can show a pattern of discrimination it will be difficult to bring any kind of suit in that manner.

Originally posted by cbg
I don't see anything in your post that gives you any kind of legal recourse. They are not required to hire the person with the most experience.

Originally posted by htope
I am a 42 yo disabled veteran. I live in Kentucky.
I recently applied for a security job which listed the following in the description of the job:
Job Type: General Labor
Req'd Education: High School
Req'd Experience: Less Than 1 Year
Division: Security

At the bottom of the page under "Requirements" it says:

# High school graduate or equivalent
# Previous security, military or law enforcement experience preferred

I interviewed for the job and the woman said she would be passing along those applicatons she "felt were qualified for the job."

I have nine years of military experience (Navy; Combat Systems Department) , was on the ships security force [leader team 1] which responsed to any apparent threats to ship security. I received expert medals with both pistol and rifle. I worked previously as a security guard/dispatcher for a local university for over two full years.

That said, I received a postcard from them Friday which said, "Thank you for your interest in employment with "company name". We have received your application and found that you do not meet the minimum qualifications of the job you've applied for.
Please feel free to visit our web site at "company URL" for jobs that you are better qualified for.
Thank you.

In the interview the woman asked if I had ever been fired or forced to resign from a job. I told here it depended on what story my previous employers told her. They told everyone I worked with that I quit, when I was actually fired.
I explained the previous situation, which is complicated. Long story short: I did exactly as my supervisors told me to one evening and the next day they said I insulted a woman and they were going to move me from my full time dispatcher job to full time security guard job. Since I did not insult anyone [and the woman they said complained said she did not when I spoke to her. In fact, she said they came over to her and asked her to file a complaint and she refused.] I refused to be disciplined for something I had not done and refused to go stand the guard watch. The "director" then said that they were an "at will employer" and fired me. BUT I had barely gotten out the door when they announced that I had quit. Even though the exact words of the "director" were, "We are an at will employer and we are going to do what we have to do. [I replied, "Yes sir. You do."] You need to turn your shirts in."
I do not remember if the application had a spot on it asking if I had a disability so it did not come up.

So, has this company violated any laws by saying I did not meet the qualifications, when I obviously did according to the classified job listing, by sending me this bogus postcard? To be more precise, when they list the job requirements can they use more than they post if they want once interviews start?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back