Min insurance limits with 80+k vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your hypothetical was the reality faced by now deceased son.

On behalf of my wife and his daughters I successfully litigated a multimillion dollar lawsuit.

It resulted in a trust fund for our granddaughters and a special needs medical trust for our son.

He lived his last ten years in a coma.

There are always remedies available, even for the most dire circumstances.

You had to identify deeper pockets than the negligent driver who hit you. Just because you won a multi million dollar verdict doesn't mean that it is collectible. Certainly not collectible against the driver who caused the accident and certainly not all collectible in a post tort reform environment,

Congratulations, I am happy a jury awarded you a verdict that is equal to the actual value of the case. However, that doesn't happen in all cases and especially when there are not those pockets for which to pay the claims.

I don't think anybody wants to read your incessant rants about the evil insurance industry but you'll accuse me of bias if I lock the thread.

I'll take a vote. Anybody want the thread closed?

You are bais but there is no intentional rant about the insurance industry intended. We still have FREE choice to pick the insurance companies you want or that best help your family.

Last edited:
I think the thread should be closed as its sole reason for existence is to serve as a rant. Yes, I have a bias...against rants.

True but wouldn't you want fair compensation for your injuries? against someone who knows how to work the system? Isn't there a social duty to limit idiots like this who work the system.

Sure I would but the problem is neither the value of someone's car or the insurance carrier.

That said while I don't mind arguing with Redemptionman I vote to close this one up just becuase his argument is just silly on this one.

Just because you won a multi million dollar verdict doesn't mean that it is collectible.

LOL, the judgment was collected in FULL.

My two granddaughters have already graduated college, each one bought a home, they're married, and the trust earns interest everyday.

Congratulations, I am happy a jury awarded you a verdict that is equal to the actual value of the case.

You misunderstood my post.

No money, even all the money on the world could ever compensate our granddaughters losing their father at the hands of drunken murderer.

The verdict wasn't awarded to me or my wife.

My wife simply administered the trust (along with a large bank) until our grands reached the age of 25.

Neither of us, my wife or myself, received anything for our actions.

I sat second chair with a law school friend of mine, who is a partner at a large law firm.

I couldn't read the HC version but another article I read on this ended with this paragraph...

This is the largest penalty for such a crime in U.S. history, but the family won't see a cent of it. Flood says that's because Texas does not require bar owners to carry any minimum level of liability insurance unlike drivers.

Yes, I doubt @army judge received 1% from the actual driver who caused the accident. I would assume he picked up the automobile manufactures in his case which made up the difference or iirc he stated that they picked up malpractice against the treating doctors? That is great but if this was to happen today then the award would not be as collectible especially with tort reform. In Texas you would have been capped at 250k for the malpractice. Not sure how that makes you feel, but you wouldn't have a trust fund today if this happened. I assure you.

Not everyone is as lucky and more often than not you are left with empty verdicts.

Last edited:
I couldn't read the HC version but another article I read on this ended with this paragraph...

This is the largest penalty for such a crime in U.S. history, but the family won't see a cent of it. Flood says that's because Texas does not require bar owners to carry any minimum level of liability insurance unlike drivers.

The bar went out of business in 2019, if I recall correctly.

Poof, all gone.

Nevertheless, the theory of the case, as well as trial tactics were both outstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back