Microsoft Auomatic Updates

Nick003

Jurisdiction
New York
Approximately 2 years ago, my home computer which is licensed with the Windows 7 operating system was offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 by Microsoft. Upon completion of a hardware scan to check compatibility, I chose to take advantage of the free upgrade.

One feature of the Windows 10 operating system are automatic updates which occur during off hours, usually around the 3am hour. Quite often, my system is rendered inoperable due to some of the updates.

With earlier operating systems, this was never an issue as Microsoft offered the opportunity to review updates prior to installation. So as an example, if there was a compatibility issue with a planned video driver update, earlier updates allowed you to select which updates to complete, thereby avoiding system crashes due to incompatible driver updates.

I understand that purchasing an operating system (or in this case, accepting the free upgrade) is not ownership of the operating system, but merely the right to use it.

But the simple fact is that individuals, businesses, government agencies and such cannot enter my home without my permission or authority (subpoena) to do so, physically, electronically or otherwise. And the fact is that this system is in my home.

Now while the terms of licensing state that I agree to receive these updates, it does not say that I agree to install them.

Where actual code to apply "fixes" to the operating system itself are understandable, how can updates which change customizable settings and function of hardware be allowed?

Thank you,
Nick

Approximately 2 years ago, my home computer which is licensed with the Windows 7 operating system was offered a free upgrade to Windows 10 by Microsoft. Upon completion of a hardware scan to check compatibility, I chose to take advantage of the free upgrade.

One feature of the Windows 10 operating system are automatic updates which occur during off hours, usually around the 3am hour. Quite often, my system is rendered inoperable due to some of the updates.

With earlier operating systems, this was never an issue as Microsoft offered the opportunity to review updates prior to installation. So as an example, if there was a compatibility issue with a planned video driver update, earlier updates allowed you to select which updates to complete, thereby avoiding system crashes due to incompatible driver updates.

I understand that purchasing an operating system (or in this case, accepting the free upgrade) is not ownership of the operating system, but merely the right to use it.

But the simple fact is that individuals, businesses, government agencies and such cannot enter my home without my permission or authority (subpoena) to do so, physically, electronically or otherwise. And the fact is that this system is in my home.

Now while the terms of licensing state that I agree to receive these updates, it does not say that I agree to install them.

Where actual code to apply "fixes" to the operating system itself are understandable, how can updates which change customizable settings and function of hardware be allowed?

Thank you,
Nick
You don't have to allow it.

Your post seems to raise no legal issue (or, if it does, it's entirely a matter of the massive license agreement to which you agreed).

Because you agreed to it, although you may not know it, when you allowed Micro$cam to upgrade your perfectly operable "7" to their money grabbing "10" scam.

There are ways around what you're enduring.

Those ways can be discovered by a simple internet search.

My wife got suckered into the "10" money grab, but I got her out by purchasing a copy of Safe, sound, operable "7".

I also permanently disabled the useless updates.

If I wanted to touch or tap my screen, I can do that on one of my tablets or smart phone.

We'll be using old "7" until we die, or our laptop(s) dies(die), then I'll reinstall safer "7" on my new laptop(s).

Right. You choose to agree to the conditions or not use the system. That's a voluntary choice. You don't get to say, "yes, I agree to these terms in exchange for being allowed to use the system" and then complain that you didn't have a choice and/or don't like the terms."

It would be like if I wrote a hit song that you now want to sample in your new song. I say, "ok, you can use it, but on the following conditions, which are non-negotiable and, if you don't agree, you can't use my song." Your choice is to agree to my conditions or not use the song. You can dislike my conditions and wish that I hadn't imposed some of them, but you unquestionably had a choice.

You can uninstall Windows 10 updates, as well as turn off the auto update feature. As this is not a tech forum, however, I suggest you find one, as I am not going to bore these good folks speaking geek..

Nope. You can pause updates for seven days. Once you hit seven days, you have to install updates before you can pause again.

The hack is to tell MS that your network connection is a slow/expensive one and it will refrain from using it to try to update.

Back