Security Deposit Michigan tennant security deposit return

mtiger38

I gave landlord my 30 day notice Jan. 28th 2015 (they are new owners since my former landlord sold the complex to them after I had been living there 8months.) My former landlord never did a walk through with us or left us papers to assess the condition of the condo. He was very laid back and the first time we lived there- had no difficulty getting my full deposit back the first time we lived there. Since we moved in- he has sold it and a new mgmt. company has taken over.
Gave written notice of intent to move Jan. 28th- mgmt. never responded. Feb 27th we cleaned the place top to bottom and sent her written notice we were now out and if we needed to do anything else to let us know! (forwarding address was given both emails). No response from mgmt. April 2nd. sent her another email asking where my deposit was.. no response... called the former owner 2 days later to inform him of the problems of my original security he started with- I wasn't getting no response from mgt. or replies. He said he would find out and call me.. never did.
Finally last night- April 9th, I sent a final email telling her I would be seeing her in court for not getting my money back to me within 30 days. She finally replied the next day of April 10th,, stating they mailed it out March 30th with a explanation. I replied back to her it never came and it was now April 10th well over Michigans 30 day deadline.. I told her I would give it another couple days then I was still filing in court against them.

Seems to me- I did everything on my end- My lease was up Feb. 28th- and if they didn't mail it out till march 30th- isn't that over the "within 30 day" limit by Michigan law? And its still not here yet! I have a feeling they are going to try and omit money for damages that were never there. My daughter and I were good tenants and left the place spotless. We lived there before and had no problem with the former owner. But now with this new mgmt. they give everyone a hard time giving them their money back. So what can I do since officially the letter or return deposit is still not here even though she said they sent it? They never responded to my previous emails (although my email system said they were opened and read.) I put up with a lot of problems at this place and really don't think they are doing a proper job. Since the original owner never did a walk through- and the new mgmt. took over and never did a walk through either- how can they prove damage if they were never there in the first place when I moved in? My daughter and I were there- so we know the condition we left it in. Any suggestions as to how far I can take this?

Your remedy probably lies in a small claims court in the city or county where the rental unit is located.

If you satisfy the judge hearing the matter, you'll prevail.

In the meantime, you wait.

What the other party will do is anyone's guess, so all you can do is file the case to litigate the matter.

Back