Meth Addict Roommate

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DoctorFeelGood

I've never sued anyone, or had any dealings with the courts in the past so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Here's the story:

I live in a two bedroom apartment with my girlfriend, and we recently rented out the other bedroom to someone we didn't really know (he had a full time job, seemed quiet and nice, etc.). Over the past month he's been acting extremely weird. He barely ever sleeps, always yelling things at 3-6AM. I confronted him and asked if he did meth, his response was "YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT YOU CAN'T". He's been saying a lot of things that don't make sense, and I mean really weird things. For example, last week he came in from work and stood in the living room staring at me repeating himself about five times saying "Super heroes aren't bad guys, Will," getting louder and louder each time before slamming his door to his room. He also has come to my workplace and yelled at my coworkers, saying he has a message for me but never leaves a message. He just gets loud and upset and storms out. He's done this twice now and was warned that if he came back they would call the cops.

Three days ago while I was at work he got into a verbal fight with my girlfriend and things got so loud that our neighbors called the cops. They came and arrested him, and he was back the next day.

This morning things got really bad. He was screaming nonsense, shattered the bathroom mirror, punched walls and just went on a rampage. We called the cops, and when they got here it took six of them to take him down. He's in jail right now but he's scheduled to be released tonight. The police contacted me and suggested that we leave.

I talked to my landlord about this, and he's saying that we have to pay two extra months rent, and not get our security deposit back - to cover all the costs of the damages that our roommate caused. Our roommate however, because he signed the release forms yesterday, can stay here for up to thirty days and not have to pay a dime. So now we have to pay $3000, and we're not even going to be staying here for fear of our safety. I'm packing up my important belongings today and trying to find a place we can sleep tonight.

What can we do? I don't think it's fair we have to pay all this money when we obviously didn't do it. Is this crazy addict getting off scott free because he signed the release papers yesterday? Any help is much appreciated.

Duplicate post Betty3

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never sued anyone, or had any dealings with the courts in the past so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. Here's the story:

I live in a two bedroom apartment with my girlfriend, and we recently rented out the other bedroom to someone we didn't really know (he had a full time job, seemed quiet and nice, etc.). Over the past month he's been acting extremely weird. He barely ever sleeps, always yelling things at 3-6AM. I confronted him and asked if he did meth, his response was "YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS THAT YOU CAN'T". He's been saying a lot of things that don't make sense, and I mean really weird things. For example, last week he came in from work and stood in the living room staring at me repeating himself about five times saying "Super heroes aren't bad guys, Will," getting louder and louder each time before slamming his door to his room. He also has come to my workplace and yelled at my coworkers, saying he has a message for me but never leaves a message. He just gets loud and upset and storms out. He's done this twice now and was warned that if he came back they would call the cops.

Three days ago while I was at work he got into a verbal fight with my girlfriend and things got so loud that our neighbors called the cops. They came and arrested him, and he was back the next day.

This morning things got really bad. He was screaming nonsense, shattered the bathroom mirror, punched walls and just went on a rampage. We called the cops, and when they got here it took six of them to take him down. He's in jail right now but he's scheduled to be released tonight. The police contacted me and suggested that we leave.

I talked to my landlord about this, and he's saying that we have to pay two extra months rent, and not get our security deposit back - to cover all the costs of the damages that our roommate caused. Our roommate however, because he signed the release forms yesterday, can stay here for up to thirty days and not have to pay a dime. So now we have to pay $3000, and we're not even going to be staying here for fear of our safety. I'm packing up my important belongings today and trying to find a place we can sleep tonight.

What can we do? I don't think it's fair we have to pay all this money when we obviously didn't do it. Is this crazy addict getting off scott free because he signed the release papers yesterday? Any help is much appreciated.

You shouldn't ever rent out a room to someone you don't know & generally even if you know them. You might be on the hook for the money due the LL. You can maybe try & get your money back (or some of it) that you pay the LL by suing the other person in small claims court. However; even if you win, you have to collect the money.

Sorry for the duplicate post. I posted on here then couldn't find it so I figured I did something wrong and registered then reposted. Anyways, I know I made poor decisions with the roommate - I'm not here for your opinion on the decisions I've made, more on what I can do next legally speaking. Is suing the roommate my only available action? How do I go about doing this? Do I have any grounds for suing the landlord for making me pay for something I didn't do?

You signed the lease, you are responsible. You invited this person in. Pay what you owe and move on.

Sorry for the duplicate post. I posted on here then couldn't find it so I figured I did something wrong and registered then reposted. Anyways, I know I made poor decisions with the roommate - I'm not here for your opinion on the decisions I've made, more on what I can do next legally speaking. Is suing the roommate my only available action? How do I go about doing this? Do I have any grounds for suing the landlord for making me pay for something I didn't do?

You are obligated to your landlord for what your lease says you must do.
You've spoken to yoru landlord and he has given you his ultimatum.
You can pay him, or just wlak away.
You're going to lose your deposit either way.
You appear to be on the hook for the damages that your tenant did.
You can sue him in small claims, after you've paid your landlord.
But, let's get real, buddy, no METH FREAK is going to have money to pay legitimate debts.
A METH FREAK'S money goes to buy METH.

Your options are few.
The METH FREAK doesn't care, you do.
You're trying to be legit, the METH FREAK don't give a shiit!

I suggest you gather your stuff and put it in storage.
Then try and find a place for you and your lady.

The lawsuits might start flying, and if they do, you can defend by saying the METH FREAK drove you out.
The problem with that is, you brought the METH FREAK in, and he's your tenant; not your landlord's.

It sounds as if you may have sufficient grounds for a restraining order which could require the tweaker to move out.
Have it served while he is in custody at the jail.
Invite the police over any time he is acting up. They will be happy to arrest him if you let them in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back