Meteor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty3

What about that meteor that hit Russia. That was quite scary & dangerous. Geez, you just never know.

As I was leaving work yesterday, one of my co-workers said jokingly, "I wish that meteor had hit here. It would have broken all the windows and they'd have had to send us home."

I replied, "I've already been in one Sy-Fy Original Motion Picture Disaster flick this week - one per week is enough."

Yep - that blizzard was scary & dangerous also.

That was crazy! I saw some of the footage last night, mostly amateur, and it sounded like a missile.

As I was leaving work yesterday, one of my co-workers said jokingly, "I wish that meteor had hit here. It would have broken all the windows and they'd have had to send us home."
I can't help but laugh at my sometimes commerce driven mode. All I could think of was that this would be a *major* boon for the home repair business, as if they didn't have enough of a banner year thanks to Sandy!

I think just about everyone in my home town (it sure looks like it) got a new roof (we did) & other repairs to their homes due to a hail storm in April of last year (hail as large as tennis balls & it hailed for so long). Many cars damaged also. We put some of the hail stones in our freezer to save but eventually they did start melting even in there. My brother & I saw hail like that just once before (also got a new roof) when we were kids & that was quite some time ago.

I probably would have thought at first that the meteor was an earthquake.

We had something similar happen here a few years ago, Betty. I was still working at the hotel then and the repair crews they had to bring in from other areas to take care of the hail damage kept us solvent for months.

We had the hail storm in April & the roofers/construction cos. were so busy we didn't get our new roof until Oct. It wasn't raining in our house at least though eventually it probably would have. (very large dents)

Just a stark reminder of how powerless we are against these things. This wasn't very big (for a meteor) too: about 50 feet across, 10,000 tons? Must have been travelling at some incredible speed to have caused that much damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back