Merchants Acceptance Kirby Vacuum

Kim B

Jurisdiction
Florida
I purchased a Kirby vacuum from a door to door salesman with financing through Merchants Acceptance. I was skeptical from the beginning and gave them a low credit limit credit card to process payments with. They processed my payments as "Cash Advances" and racked up fees and APR for said cash advances, even putting the card over limit several times. I called the Credit Card company (assuming it was them) and they said it's the way that the merchant was processing payments and that they shouldn't be processing it like that. They said I should cancel the card and speak with the merchant about all the fees accrued. I called and spoke with a representative (who wouldn't transfer to a supervisor) and I specifically said I wanted them to credit my account for those fees and the Cash Advance amounts that I'd have to pay APR on until the card is paid off. The representative "spoke with her supervisor" and They only agreed to roughly 1/3 of the fees. However they said I had to do it right then, the offer only lasted that day. I do not want to do that without written documentation of them crediting my account. (Let alone they do not provide statements or updates whatsoever about the account, I have to keep track with my Credit monitoring app.) I told them that isn't fair for what they did with my credit card and I canceled that card and wouldn't provide another form of payment until they credit for the full amount of fees. Ever since we've been at a stand still and they're negatively reporting against my credit reports, I haven't been answering phone calls anymore either. I am worried about this turning into legal action and potential wage garnishment as I have read from other customers with these same issues. They're notorious for these kind of practices. The BBB is full of complaints similar to mine. I am not sure what to do, I am afraid to give them access to any account of mine because of how they process payments let alone all the fees that are now accrued from non payment.

Any help or advice is beyond appreciated.

Thanks,
Kim B

I purchased a Kirby vacuum from a door to door salesman with financing through Merchants Acceptance.

I suspect you learned subsequent to your purchase that buying the item from the seller noted was a mistake.

For your edification:

Merchants Acceptance Corp - North Auburn, WA

https://www.ripoffreport.com/report...-company-charges-unbelieveable-interest-11427

How Kirby Persuades Consumers To Shell Out $1,500 for Vacuum

Merchant acceptance-Kirby vacuum

Top 1,769 Reviews about Kirby Vacuum Cleaners | Page 4

Merchant Acceptance Corporation | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

They processed my payments as "Cash Advances" and racked up fees and APR for said cash advances, even putting the card over limit several times. I called the Credit Card company (assuming it was them) and they said it's the way that the merchant was processing payments and that they shouldn't be processing it like that.

The card issuer gave you GREAT advice:

They said I should cancel the card and speak with the merchant about all the fees accrued

I do not want to do that without written documentation of them crediting my account. (Let alone they do not provide statements or updates whatsoever about the account, I have to keep track with my Credit monitoring app.) I told them that isn't fair for what they did with my credit card and I canceled that card and wouldn't provide another form of payment until they credit for the full amount of fees.

Your choice will ONLY create more issues you'll have to overcome.

The seller of the item you bought is BEST avoided.

If one of their "scammers", rather "salespeople" knocks on your door, send the rascal away.

Do NOT allow the "rascal" to engage you in conversation, don't answer your door, the "critter" will slither away!

I am not sure what to do, I am afraid to give them access to any account of mine because of how they process payments let alone all the fees that are now accrued from non payment.

You have very few options to thwart these "rascals".

Your card issuer gave you the best option.

If I were you, I'd see if that option can be revived.

If you continue to do NOTHING, you'll ONLY accumulate more charges from the "rascals".

YES, you may not recover the fees charged by your card issuer, but your bigger enemy is known as the "rascals".

I suggest you address the "rascals" first, then try to get "something" out of the card issuer.

Unlike the USA during WWII, you can't fight a war on TWO fronts.

The card issuer is your best ally to thwart the "rascals".

Contact the card issuer, see if you can have the offer revived.

DO IT TODAY!!!!

I canceled the Capital One credit card I was using for payments to them, however I am still paying Capital One as usual. I just haven't activated the new card and I keep paying them despite the mess Merchants Acceptance made with my account to Capital one.

I'm just not sure what to do with the financing company of the vacuum, Merchants acceptance. Should I ignore it and wait for it to go to court? I'm not sure how well I sit from a legal stand point. Which worries me about wage garnishment here in FL.

Or should I call them and try to work this out despite their terrible business practices? Give them a new method of payment and "eat crow".

Kirby Vacuum. I ejected one of their salesmen from my home once and made him stand on the curb in 95-degree heat until his ride (supervisor) returned about 30 minutes later. It looked like a storm was coming and I prayed ard for it.

That said you didn't kick your salesman out and you agreed to purchase. I would, because of their business practices, figure out a way to pay them by money order. Just don't be late.

Kirby Vacuum. I ejected one of their salesmen from my home once and made him stand on the curb in 95-degree heat until his ride (supervisor) returned about 30 minutes later. It looked like a storm was coming and I prayed ard for it.

That said you didn't kick your salesman out and you agreed to purchase. I would, because of their business practices, figure out a way to pay them by money order. Just don't be late.

Miele is a much better vacuum and costs half the price. I love mine!!!

Miele is a much better vacuum and costs half the price. I love mine!!!

We have a Dyson now and it does what needs to be done.

There were two things that upset me about the whole thing.

1) My wife let a man in the house that she didn't know from Adam.
2) We had a perfectly good vacuum at the time. My wife doesn't even vacuum that often. We have a housekeeper that comes in twice a week so the $1500 would have been spent and we would have gained nothing from it.

I took that anger out on the salesman instead of my wife. He had every part and attachment spread out in our living room floor including a pile of dust for showing how well it worked. I gave him 5 minutes to get his stuff and go.

Though I made no threat of any kind the guy was crapping himself because I was coming home from the shooting range and was very clearly armed to the teeth.

I never do business with door to door salespeople, or solicitors.

On our ranch, we don't need to worry about anyone accessing the ranch house, because we have 3/4 mile long, fenced (& gated), private road.

At our city home, so far clever solicitors/salespeople can't scale the six foot fenced and gated brick wall.

A burglar once attempted the feat, got cut up on the hidden concertina wire, embedded nails, glass shards, and was met by four rather mean and agitated dobermans who began to inflict dozens of bites.

I happened to be home at the time, got the security alert, and observed the rather entertaining incident from the comfort of my study.

The dobermans, named one, two, three, and four; were rewarded with some tasty ribeyes for their outstanding achievement that evening.

The police arrived, began to snicker, chortle, and guffaw; at the cowering, whimpering, blob of flesh, carting him away to the local hoosegow.

Suffice it to say, to date we have not been pestered by any trespassers.

I never do business with door to door salespeople, or solicitors.

On our ranch, we don't need to worry about anyone accessing the ranch house, because we have 3/4 mile long, fenced (& gated), private road.

At our city home, so far clever solicitors/salespeople can't scale the six foot fenced and gated brick wall.

A burglar once attempted the feat, got cut up on the hidden concertina wire, embedded nails, glass shards, and was met by four rather mean and agitated dobermans who began to inflict dozens of bites.

I happened to be home at the time, got the security alert, and observed the rather entertaining incident from the comfort of my study.

The dobermans, named one, two, three, and four; were rewarded with some tasty ribeyes for their outstanding achievement that evening.

The police arrived, began to snicker, chortle, and guffaw; at the cowering, whimpering, blob of flesh, carting him away to the local hoosegow.

Suffice it to say, to date we have not been pestered by any trespassers.
You're sexy when you get all Texas. ;)

Reminds me of the Abbott and Costello episode where Lou sells vacuum cleaners. The pile of dust schtick starts at 21:34 in the video.

I love those two funny men.
Their stuff was both madcap and hilarious.
It was also sparkling clean, something so rare today.
The good old days of yesteryear.

I purchased a Kirby vacuum from a door to door salesman

Oops.

I do not want to do that without written documentation

Smart, which is why you should be writing them with documentation of your complaint and not calling.

I canceled that card and wouldn't provide another form of payment until they credit for the full amount of fees.

Not smart. Despite the discrepancy you need to pay as agreed to avoid negative credit make and legal actin to collect. Locate an address and send a check every month.

Review any documents you were given at the time of purchase for information about dispute resolution and acceptable forms of payment. Follow the steps that are outlined in the contract and make a payment to bring your account back to good standing, or just pay it off in full.

Then, using the dispute resolution process in the contract or small claims court, initiate action to recover the full amount of excessive fees you believe they are responsible for. Don't touch a phone. You won't get anywhere dealing with low level button pushers.

Back