Melinia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melinia

Is it true in the state of Florida your husband can just up and file for divorce and tell you that you either have to buy him out by paying him 1/2 the equity in the appraised value of the house or sell it. Also he is taking me off his insurance as of Jan. 1. 2007. We are not even divoced yet and he is leaving me without medical insurance. I can not afford a lawyer. Is there something that can be done? I do not want this divorce and I know I can't stop it. Also, what happens if I contest it? Thank you

Q: Is it true in the state of Florida your husband can just up and file for divorce and tell you that you either have to buy him out by paying him 1/2 the equity in the appraised value of the house or sell it.

A: Yes.

Q: Also he is taking me off his insurance as of Jan. 1. 2007. We are not even divoced yet and he is leaving me without medical insurance. I can not afford a lawyer. Is there something that can be done?

A: Contact your state bar association to see if they have lawyers who will represent you for free or for a low cost.

Q: I do not want this divorce and I know I can't stop it. Also, what happens if I contest it?

A: I don't know what will happen if you contest it. My crystal ball is not working today.

You need an attorney. For now I would stop listening to your husband. If he has been the sole bread winner, or makes considerably more than you, you can ask that he pay your legal fees. You can also call around to a local law school to see if you can get a law student that can help you.

Not sure what contesting the divorce is going to do. You cannot force someone to stay married to you.

As far as him taking you off his insurance, not sure if he is able to. You can ask that insurance remain in effect until the divorce is final. Also, if he is part of an open enrollment with his company, he generally cannot take you off in an instant. Generally there has to be a major lfe change, like the divorce being final.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back