Meet and confer

FiyaHouse8

If the plaintiff is suing the defendant in a lawsuit, who should offer the meet and confer to discuss resolving issuesif one possess evidence before discovery?

If the plaintiff is suing the defendant in a lawsuit, who should offer the meet and confer to discuss resolving issuesif one possess evidence before discovery?

That's a very general question and you didn't specify the jurisdiction involved. Court rules vary considerably as to when the parties must confer. But generally where there is a such a requirement it is imposed on a party wishing to file a motion to confer with the other party to work out the issue first prior to filing the motion. So if it were the plaintiff considering filing a motion to compel discovery the applicable court rules may require that the plaintiff first try to work out the discovery issue with the defendant before filing that motion.

This question makes no sense at all.

For starters, the plaintiff is always the one suing the defendant (although the defendant may file a counterclaim against the plaintiff), so saying, "If the plaintiff is suing the defendant" is unnecessary.

Second, I don't know what "offer the meet and confer" means.

Third, I don't know what "issues if one possess [sic] evidence before discovery" means.

Fourth, while some states/jurisdictions impose meet and confer requirements as a prerequisite to certain motion practice, and some states/jurisdictions require an early meeting of counsel in connection with required initial disclosures, you didn't identify your state or jurisdiction, so it's not possible to know what rules might apply.

That's a very general question and you didn't specify the jurisdiction involved.

The jurisdiction is that very unique one, Louisiana.

French basis rather than English Common Law. Weird that...especially when it comes to custody.

The French (when Napoleon reigned) derived their legal system from none other than Hammurabi, as well as a few other minor players.

Those early settlers to LA kept many things from the "old country" in place as they settles LA, parts of MS and AL, too.

I've tried three (two civil one criminal) cases in New Orleans over the decades.

Some of my mother's family are from LA.
Mom could make a mean gumbo.
The legal system in LA reminds me of gumbo.

The French (when Napoleon reigned) derived their legal system from none other than Hammurabi, as well as a few other minor players.

Those early settlers to LA kept many things from the "old country" in place as they settles LA, parts of MS and AL, too.

I've tried three (two civil one criminal) cases in New Orleans over the decades.

Some of my mother's family are from LA.
Mom could make a mean gumbo.
The legal system in LA reminds me of gumbo.
:D:D:D

@army judge Do you have the recipe for your Mothers Gumbo? IF so...would you pm it to me?

I've always wanted to try it but have never been able to get a really good recipe for it.

@army judge Do you have the recipe for your Mothers Gumbo? IF so...would you pm it to me?

I've always wanted to try it but have never been able to get a really good recipe for it.

Will do later today.
The key to a good gumbo starts with a good roux, and the holy trinity of Cajun/Creole cooking onion, celery and bell peppers. Mom always added fresh garlic to hers.

@army judge Is it a thick or thin gumbo?

I years ago had a recipe for a great dark brown thick like gravy gumbo but moved, lost the recipe and have never been able to duplicate it.

Thick, because gumbo is stew, not a soup.
That, my friend, is the purpose of a luscious, smooth roux.
Mom never measured anything, she just eyeballed it, as did her mother.
Those ladies were a blessed treasure to me.
Grandmother never had formal schooling.
She was working full time at 7 years of age.
She learned to read using a Bible.
She never went anywhere without a Bible.
She was hardworking, frugal, and did her daily devotions twice a day.
The women in your life are as important as the men.

Thick, because gumbo is stew, not a soup.
That, my friend, is the purpose of a luscious, smooth roux.

As did my Great Aunt Maria, but when I was about 20, against all family tradition and much to the consternation of my Great Great Aunt Mamma did show me how it was made and I took note.

So if you have any similar notes @army judge you will take a place in the legion of fine humans. I think If I just get the base right I can work it enough to duplicate.

I think If I just get the base right I can work it enough to duplicate.

The Roux is the secret to a great gumbo.
It is simply caramelizing flour (and other ingredients) to a lovely light brown.
It takes time to get it smooth, but once you do, you'll know.
these days you can buy ready made Gumbo roux.
Mother would upset of I ever did that. LOL

The other things you'll come to love: File powder and a GREAT LA hot sauce.
Check your PMs, I sent you some notes.

No worries, you're welcome.
Let me know how it turns out.
A picture of the end product would be nice. ;)

Will do. It may be a while many of the grocery stores aren't stock. I looked for shrimp last week with no luck and the produce section looked sort of post apocalyptic.

Last edited:
Will do. It may be a while many of the grocery stores aren't stock. I looked for shrimp last week with no luck and the produce section looked sort of post apocalyptic.

At times the formerly fully stocked shelves of nearby supermarkets reminded me of the former Soviet Union markets during the 1980s.

I recall reading an article about a newly arrived Jewish couple from the Ukraine and there first visit to a Walmart.

Each person said that they were mesmerized at the vast quantities of food available, and that there was no limit to what one could buy as long as one could pay for what was purchased.

Yet today, our stores (at times) remind me of that story and the stores I observed in the USSR during the 80s.

Back