Medical Malpractice Medical insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I'm recently in a process of going thru a divorce. Th only question I have is, after we both signed the divorce paper...how long do I have wait before I can drop her off my medical insurance? Please help. Thanks

I'm recently in a process of going thru a divorce. Th only question I have is, after we both signed the divorce paper...how long do I have wait before I can drop her off my medical insurance? Please help. Thanks

You might be ORDERED to keep her on your insurance, and the kids, if there are any. Speak with your attorney about your case. You might have to carry her for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, even 10 years. It's all up to what she's seeking and how clever her lawyer is.

The following assumes that you are given permission from the court to drop her from your health insurance coverage. It also assumes that your insurance coverage is through your employer. If either of these assumptions is incorrect, please disregard this post.

You will have a 30 day window from the date the divorce is final to notify your employer that you are no longer married and wish to drop coverage. You WILL have to provide a copy of the divorce decree. Your employer may have other paperwork that you need to complete. They will be able to provide you with the process.

If you miss the 30 day window, you will NOT be able to drop her from the coverage until your employer's next Open Enrollment period. For many employers, that will be sometime in the fall for changes to be effective January 1. On the other hand, for many employers OE has just gone by and changes were effective this past Monday, July 1. OE can happen any time of year and only your employer can say precisely when it will be for them.

The above is Federal law and applies in all jurisdictions of the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back