medical insurance deductions & last pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

shauna0616

Hi, my question is: I recently switched companies. I have worked for one company in my position for 8 years (outsourced). 3 weeks ago I was hired by the company in house. Normally I have a biweekly pay. The last week of work ended mid pay so I had one week with one company and one week with another. End date May 30 so I got both my paychecks ion the same day. My medical ins. went from 53 per pay to 177 with the new company. The new company took their premium of 177 out of a one week check but then the previous company took their premium out of my last check.So not only did I have to quadruple my payment but now I paid twice.And its the same exact plan I had with the old company.Should I have to pay a premium out of my last check considering they terminated it my last day of work?Seems like a lot. Also if anyone knows I am suppose to recieve my unused vacation days.It was not in my last pay check.Doesnt it have to be the next pay that you get it.Can they give it to you whenever they want? I know previous employees who have quit and it took them months before they recieved it.How soon can you file a complaint.Our HR person is known for being incompetent and doing this on purpose and then makes you wait til next pay day for her errors.

Not all companies handle insurance the same way, and neither your old employer nor your new one has any obligation to coordinate your insurance deductions. While it may be the same plan, it will not be the same group or the same ID number.

Like most people, you are assuming that the deductions roll forward, whereas the great likelihood is that they roll back. To make it easy let's assume a monthly pay period, paid on the last day of the month. When you get your paycheck for the month of May, the deduction taken for health insurance is for May, not for June. So yes, they can take a deduction from your last pay check.

PA law does not require that you get paid for unused vacation at all.

As cbg noted, Pa. law does not require that you get paid for unused vacation at all. (unless you would have a binding employment contract or CBA requiring it is to be paid at termination of employment)

To clarify, PA is a follow-your-policy state. If there is a written policy or CBA that states it will be paid out, then PA will expect the employer to do so. However, if there is a policy that says it will not be paid out OR if there is no written policy addressing it at all, PA will not force the employer to do so.

We don't know what your former employer's policy might be or if they even have one so can't say if your unused vacation needs to be paid out or not. This is something you will need to check on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back