Medical bills of the deceased

Winstonme1

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
My father passed away at age 63. He had health insurance and a group life insurance policy of $250,000. His outstanding medical bills are around $95,000. My mom is the beneficiary of the life insurance policy and we are wondering if she will be required to pay the hospital bills out of the group life policy. She has about $125,000 in savings and she owns her home worth $235,000. Thanks for your help.

Creditors should make a claim to the estate of the deceased. Life ins. proceeds pass outside of the estate & go to the beneficiary to do with as the person wishes. She could still be responsible for spouse's medical bills though if she signed anything indicating she would be. Generally a spouse is not responsible for the other spouse's medical bills even in community property states (Pa. is not a community property state) except for "mutual" debts (debts taken on together/asset debts). There are a few states (don't believe Pa. is one per my records) where under the doctrine of necessaries a spouse can be responsible for other spouse's medical debts.

Back