Consumer Law, Warranties Mechanic neglicence

Status
Not open for further replies.

grinbyrd2

A mechanic at a Firestone auto repair shop did a tune-up on my 1999 GMC Suburban. 4 days later I broke down with the motor having a loud knocking noise. I had the SUV towed to a different mechanic. He found 2 loose screws around the throttle and suspected my problem was a screw dropped inside the motor during the tune-up. After contacting Firestone, they sent an adjuster out to the shop. Firestone manager kept telling me that it was impossible for a screw to be dropped inside the motor from the tune-up. The adjuster recommended that the head be removed. I gave consent for the motor head to be removed which did reveal a screw on top of piston #4 which had scarred the head and top of the piston but no visible damage to the cylinder. My mechanic called the claims dept. back and the adjuster returned. After the adjuster visit and inspection of the motor, Bridgestone/Firestone Retail Claims assumed liability for the damage. They agreed to cover the expense to repair the individual head and the cost of the rental car I am using. I have spoken with the claims agent about compensation concerning future potential problems related to this incident, compensation for loss of value to my vehicle as a result of the damage and repair and general inconvenience because of this issue. I have been in a rental car for 2 weeks and 2 days, had to be towed after the breakdown, had to arrange for someone to pick my child up from school the day of the breakdown. What am I entitled to as far as compensation. Should I accept just the cost of repair and cost of the rental car? The claims agent has verbally agreed that they would be liable for any future problems as a result of this damage. I have asked for this agreement in writing which he has agreed to do.

You are entitled to all damages as a result of the negligence

grinbyrd2 said:
A mechanic at a Firestone auto repair shop did a tune-up on my 1999 GMC Suburban. 4 days later I broke down with the motor having a loud knocking noise. I had the SUV towed to a different mechanic. He found 2 loose screws around the throttle and suspected my problem was a screw dropped inside the motor during the tune-up. After contacting Firestone, they sent an adjuster out to the shop. Firestone manager kept telling me that it was impossible for a screw to be dropped inside the motor from the tune-up. The adjuster recommended that the head be removed. I gave consent for the motor head to be removed which did reveal a screw on top of piston #4 which had scarred the head and top of the piston but no visible damage to the cylinder. My mechanic called the claims dept. back and the adjuster returned. After the adjuster visit and inspection of the motor, Bridgestone/Firestone Retail Claims assumed liability for the damage. They agreed to cover the expense to repair the individual head and the cost of the rental car I am using. I have spoken with the claims agent about compensation concerning future potential problems related to this incident, compensation for loss of value to my vehicle as a result of the damage and repair and general inconvenience because of this issue. I have been in a rental car for 2 weeks and 2 days, had to be towed after the breakdown, had to arrange for someone to pick my child up from school the day of the breakdown. What am I entitled to as far as compensation. Should I accept just the cost of repair and cost of the rental car? The claims agent has verbally agreed that they would be liable for any future problems as a result of this damage. I have asked for this agreement in writing which he has agreed to do.

It appears that they have pretty much tried to satisfy as much of your damages as possible except for the inconvenience on the day of the incident. If you can place a monetary value on it you should ask the adjuster to reimburse you for that expense too. Did you have to pay for your kid to be picked up?

redbanknaacp said:
It appears that they have pretty much tried to satisfy as much of your damages as possible except for the inconvenience on the day of the incident. If you can place a monetary value on it you should ask the adjuster to reimburse you for that expense too. Did you have to pay for your kid to be picked up?

I did ask for a refund for the tune-up that caused all this. I thought that would at least be a fair settlment. The claims agent said he had never refunded for work that caused a problem but that he would look into it. My sister-in-law was able to pick up my child so I didn't have any extra expense for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back