Arrest, Search, Seizure, Warrant MD-Waiver signed after dismissal

Status
Not open for further replies.

42n81

In February 2000, my cousin convinced the PG county police that I was trying to kill her. I hired a criminal attorney and the charge was reduced to "telephone harassment". 20 friends and family appeared with me at my hearing as possible character witness and the accuser didn't show. The charges were dismissed, but I was traumatized and am just now able to talk or write about this.

After the hearing was over, a police officer or court clerk, I don't remember which, approached me and asked me to sign a waiver stating that I wouldn't sue the Prince George's police department and I signed it because at the time, I held a DoD top secret security clearance and didn't want this incident to affect my update. I was told that my record would be expunged.

Well the 7th year anniversary of the hearing is coming up and I want to know if I can sue the Prince George's police department, the County and/or the State for the trauma I've suffered; depression, seeing psychiatrist, ruined relationships, quitting my job and moving out of state.

Thank you.

...Well the 7th year anniversary of the hearing is coming up and I want to know if I can sue the Prince George's police department, the County and/or the State for the trauma I've suffered; depression, seeing psychiatrist, ruined relationships, quitting my job and moving out of state....

You have not indicated any facts which would show that the government did anything wrong.

Also, you have not indicated the dollar amount of any permanent and serious physical damages.

So, I'd have to say (based solely on your post) that you have no case.

Besides, I think you have waited too long to do anything about it. Plus, you signed a waiver.

Well, for one, no police ever came to talk to me or anyone I know about the charges.
2 - I was not marandized when I was arrested (handcuffed and removed from my home), fingerprinted and locked up for the day until I could appear before the magistrate at 8:30 p.m.
3 - the person at the jail that gave me my release papers stated how "bazaar" this arrest was and immediately used my home as collateral for my release.
4 - if I'm writing to you about duress and depression, I believe 'frame of mind' might have some bearing on my decision to sign the waiver
5 - if I have a legal leg to stand on, the attorney that I hire will probably advise me on the appropriate dollar amount

I'm 57 years old and this is very serious to me. If you have some particular questions, please ask them.
Thank you

Last edited:
Since the charges were dismissed, I can't see where you have much of a case.

However, hire a lawyer to evaluate your claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back