Maternity Leave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmcelroy

I was hired at a design firm one year ago next month.
When I was hired, I was told I was being hired into a full time salaried position. I was then told that I would be in a 2 month trial period to see how I fit in. I've been here a full year and we haven't discussed salary yet. I started bringing it up 2 months ago every other week or so.

When I was hired, I was told that the previous designer left to be a stay at home mother. This past week, I was told that the reason why we haven't discussed salary is because they didn't know what to do with me. Now I'm told that the previous designer who left last year has been on "extended" maternity leave.

I don't think there is anything I can do if she decides to come back, but I wanted to make sure. If I was hired being told it was for a full time position and no mention of being a fill in for someone on maternity leave, is this legal?

Another note, I passed up other job offers when I was hired.

If I was hired being told it was for a full time position and no mention of being a fill in for someone on maternity leave, is this legal?

Yes. It's a shame, but it's legal. Google, at-will employment.

Thank you for the speedy response, and giving me a good reference to research.
I agree, it is a shame. Lesson learned, be ready at all times for the unexpected! Time to start cracking on a new portfolio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back