K Visa Marrying a U.S. citizen

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocoharley

I've been in the U.S. since 1999 on F-1 student visa. I'm in my last semester of graduate school and am waiting for OPT (Optional Practical Training) approval. I've also started my job search process. My boyfriend, a U.S. citizen by birth, and I are thinking of getting married. We're hoping that I'd be able to stay here permanently and that the marriage would increase my job prospects (without the potential employer having to worry about sponsoring me), which would in turn benefit the both of us financially (with both of us being able to work legally without restrictions). Of course, those are just fringe benefits and not the main reason we want to get married. We figured since we'd be getting married eventually anyway, we should get married while I'm still legally permitted to stay here.

We've found quite a bit of useful information on the U.S. Department of State and the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) websites, although most of what we've found pertain to bringing somebody to the U.S. (and I'm already here).

The only information we've not able to find is specific information regarding the Affidavit of Support that my boyfriend would have to eventually sign. My boyfriend only works part-time (he's been unable to find a full-time job that pays enough) and would probably not be able to "prove" that he could provide financial support for me until I become an American citizen or can be credited with 40 quarters of work.

Our questions are: Can my boyfriend's parent(s) be my co-sponsor(s)? They will have no problem proving that they can support another person financially. If they can't, what options do we have?

Any other information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

that was actually one of my problems too. i am marrying a us citizen too but the problem is the money.. he should file atleast $18,000.00 and above of income tax every year then i guess you would be fine. i doubt abt ur bf's parents supporting you because they are not the person you are getting married with. my questions are: does your bf have any assets that he can show he owns? any savings that he can show on the paper? if not, i suggest borrown a sum amount of money from his parents and put it on the bank while you guys are still not married.

This is not legal Advice!

Hey,

It seems you have checked out all the "regulations" the immigration services require, so you will understand that your spouse has to prove financially that they can support you until such time you can be naturalized.
There are no base limits as such set in stone but more to the point there are no short cuts either. As for applying with a record I would not hold you breath because you have already proved TWO counts of being dishonest, one is overstaying the welcome and the other is theft. This answer is directed to both questions so just pick out the bits that are relevant to you answer.

Good luck in your quest and take care.

Mark.

HI am currently visiting the US and I'm Canadian. I have been here for about two months. I am engaged to an American man. We want to get married at city hall. My question is what do I need to do? what do I have to fill out? would I be able to enter Canada after we get married? How long wouled I have to wait? Will they send me back to Canada until I get my papers?

Call your local city hall for requirements and fees or visit their website. Rules vary from county or state to state. Yes you would be able to enter Canada after marriage. But if you file US petition for a green card, your lawyer would advice you on traveling notification or any other relevant details. There is no rule preventing marriages in the US between two consenting adults.........So that does not affect your traveling around the world unless you file to change status. If you entered here legally and want to adjust your status to green card, your immigration lawyer would do that for you. You would not be required to to return to Canada first. Your lawyer would tell you about precautions on travel depending your situation.

Any legal person can be a sponsor.........You just have to meet the criteria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back