Marrying a J-1 holder

A

asfi

Jurisdiction
Florida
I am US citizen and I am planning to marry a J-1 holder (in status). We have sent a request to the State Department to find out if the two-years rule applies to her (though on the visa in her passport says it doesn't). We will apply for a waiver if it does.
What we would like to know are the steps to be taken.
Can we get married while she is J-1 visa?
What should we do to change her status, and to which status?
Thank you

I am US citizen and I am planning to marry a J-1 holder (in status). We have sent a request to the State Department to find out if the two-years rule applies to her (though on the visa in her passport says it doesn't). We will apply for a waiver if it does.
What we would like to know are the steps to be taken.
Can we get married while she is J-1 visa?
What should we do to change her status, and to which status?
Thank you

Yes, you are always free to marry anyone you choose to marry.
Before you do that, I suggest you consult at least THREE immigration lawyers.
Normally initial consultations are offered at no charge.
If that concerns you, ask before you book the appointment.

There are many things you need to know before you get involved in sponsoring any foreigner.

One thing is that if you were to divorce, the impact will be far greater than you ever expected.

Slow yoru roll, investigate this THOROUGHLY, otherwise you will rue the decision.

Yes, you are always free to marry anyone you choose to marry.
Before you do that, I suggest you consult at least THREE immigration lawyers.
Normally initial consultations are offered at no charge.
If that concerns you, ask before you book the appointment.

There are many things you need to know before you get involved in sponsoring any foreigner.

One thing is that if you were to divorce, the impact will be far greater than you ever expected.

Slow yoru roll, investigate this THOROUGHLY, otherwise you will rue the decision.

Thanks Army Judge. We have been together for almost 2 years now. I would like to have some preliminary info about the J1- to Permanent Resident transition.

Thanks Army Judge. We have been together for almost 2 years now. I would like to have some preliminary info about the J1- to Permanent Resident transition.

Mate, people are married thirty years and get divorced.

Just because you've played house for two years has no statistical link to surviving in a marriage.

By the way, playing house is akin to playing soldier, cops and robbers, teacher, physician, or any other child's game. Marriage has no correlation to anything, even playing house for two years.

When you add in children, that takes the game to another level, another plane, another universe, and another dimension.

As suggested, you need to understand what massive obligation you undertake when sponsoring, let alone marrying, any foreign national.

Therefore, as suggested speak to two or three immigration lawyers.

It would also be wise to contact the horse's head, mouth, and brain: www.uscis.gov

Understand the obligation you must agree to, even if you weren't planning on marrying the other person.

After that, you can worry about any transitions, or you may have changed your mind.

Back