K Visa Marrying a canadian

Status
Not open for further replies.

spud

Hi folks, thx for having me here, great site.
Here is my question.
I have met a woman that lives in canada we have been in contact for 2 years. visting each other on and off as time permits.She has 2 children 14,13 She is a single woman her husband passed away. We would like to live together and get married here in the usa {cal}
where i reside i am a american. We would like to know how to go about doing this. Can she come over to visit with here children and just stay and get married to me or is there other steps she should take before she leaves canada. We dont want to screw this up we just want to raise the children and be a happy and not get in trouble down the road because we did something wrong.:D

Thx so much hope to hear from someone soon...:)

Hi guys just checking back in hope this note finds everyone well and if anyone has any insight on my question i sure would love to hear from ya.
Thx again take care...:)

Hi Spud,
I am in a simliar situation. If you go back and read previous posts on this forum you will see a lot of information on this exact scenario. Most posts will say "American marrying Canadian" etc. There is a lot of information.

As far as I can tell, applying for a K-1 visa first, then going into the states and marrying within 90 days seems to be the way to go. Then you have to apply for a change in status (sorry I can't remember what that form is called) within that period. You apply for the K-1 while she's in Canada, then once approved, go the US, get married and stay. If you get married first, then you have to apply for a K-3 visa, which means she has to go back to Canada to wait for the approval.

That's about all the info I have, and I am by no means an expert. I've just spent countless hours researching this myself! I, personally, am going to hire an immigration attorney. Even the smallest mistake on all these forms can cost you months, even years, of wait time.

Good Luck!

Hey thx lostcd just wondering why 90 days when the k1 is good for 6 months is this some kind of special time frame?
thanks all talk soon.....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back