Married but long separated

Not a robot

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Hello,

I have been not legally separated from my husband for six years. No issues with the auto insurance until now.

I maintain my own household in another state with my own car and insurance policy. He has done the same. We rarely see each other.

He just changed companies and his insurer says that I have to go on his policy or they will cancel it. At first she told me it was the law but then said it was their policy. I gave her my current DL # so they wouldn't cancel him. I'm not that mean. But I don't think this is right. I don't like the idea of being on his policy should he have an accident and cause damage and then my insurance could be affected. This is all so stupid. My insurer didn't ask anything about him.

Is there something I can do besides divorce? I don't have the money for that right now.

Hello,

I have been not legally separated from my husband for six years. No issues with the auto insurance until now.

I maintain my own household in another state with my own car and insurance policy. He has done the same. We rarely see each other.

He just changed companies and his insurer says that I have to go on his policy or they will cancel it. At first she told me it was the law but then said it was their policy. I gave her my current DL # so they wouldn't cancel him. I'm not that mean. But I don't think this is right. I don't like the idea of being on his policy should he have an accident and cause damage and then my insurance could be affected. This is all so stupid. My insurer didn't ask anything about him.

Is there something I can do besides divorce? I don't have the money for that right now.
He could go with another carrier that doesn't require you to be on the policy.
It really isn't that much money to get an uncontested, lawyer free divorce...just several hundred dollars or so.

https://www.jud.ct.gov/publications/fm179.pdf

He could go with another carrier that doesn't require you to be on the policy.
It really isn't that much money to get an uncontested, lawyer free divorce...just several hundred dollars or so.

He won't do that. This was the lowest rate he could find and he won't go to the trouble. Took him long enough to get this one.

Several hundred dollars is a lot for me right now.

Thanks.

He won't do that. This was the lowest rate he could find and he won't go to the trouble. Took him long enough to get this one.

Several hundred dollars is a lot for me right now.

Thanks.

There are a dozen reasons (or more) SCREAMING get a divorce if you no longer desire to live as wife and husband.

Many of those reasons are to protect your MONEY and future earnings from being pilfered or worse by your undesired spouse.

If he/it/she is a bum, divorce it/he/she.

Heck, a do it yourself divorce in CT costs anywhere from $200 to $400.

If he/it/she gets high, crashes a car and kills a family of four driving a $300,000 Maserati, such stupidity is going to cost you far more than a few dollars.

If you have doubts about a spouse, be smart, dump the bag of garbage.

Diy Divorce In Ct

He just changed companies and his insurer says that I have to go on his policy or they will cancel it. At first she told me it was the law but then said it was their policy.

Have your husband provide you with a copy of his policy booklet or the first few pages where the Definitions are. Look under Definitions. See if it says something like this:

upload_2021-11-6_12-53-55.png

If it says that, or close to that, there shouldn't be an issue with not having you named on his policy.

It might be, though, that he needs to provide a copy of your policy (declarations page) and some documentation of when you changed residency to another state.

If his insurance company still wants you named on the policy to avoid cancellation it's just something you'll both have to live with.

New auto policies can generally be cancelled within 60 days of issue due to underwriting criteria. It's up to the insurance company to decide what underwriting issues are and there isn't anything the consumer can do about that.

If he gets cancelled, he will have to find other insurance, likely at higher rates because of the cancellation.

I would not trust an agent who first says it's the law, then back pedals to company policy, especially if those statements contradict what the policy says. You'll never be able to trust anything that agent says about your insurance.

Um, actually I wasn't looking for marital advice. I want to know if they can legally require me to be on the policy and cancel him if I ask to be taken off. That's all.

Thanks.

Many of those reasons are to protect your MONEY and future earnings from being pilfered or worse by your undesired spouse.

If he/it/she is a bum, divorce it/he/she.

Heck, a do it yourself divorce in CT costs anywhere from $200 to $400.

If he/it/she gets high, crashes a car and kills a family of four driving a $300,000 Maserati, such stupidity is going to cost you far more than a few dollars.

If you have doubts about a spouse, be smart, dump the bag of garbage.

If it says that, or close to that, there shouldn't be an issue with not having you named on his policy.

It might be, though, that he needs to provide a copy of your policy (declarations page) and some documentation of when you changed residency to another state.

If his insurance company still wants you named on the policy to avoid cancellation it's just something you'll both have to live with.

New auto policies can generally be cancelled within 60 days of issue due to underwriting criteria. It's up to the insurance company to decide what underwriting issues are and there isn't anything the consumer can do about that.

If he gets cancelled, he will have to find other insurance, likely at higher rates because of the cancellation.

I would not trust an agent who first says it's the law, then back pedals to company policy, especially if those statements contradict what the policy says. You'll never be able to trust anything that agent says about your insurance.

Thank you. Very useful information. It was my thought as well about trust. I spoke with the agent myself and when challenged on what law she was talking about, she couldn't answer. There is no logic here.

Now her supervisor wants me to contact her to "figure out what's going on". She is confused now as to what my husband told her. She needs a better understanding so she can let underwriting know how to rate the policy. Not all that complicated. Still married, live in different states with totally separate lives. Those are the facts.

Now her supervisor wants me to contact her to "figure out what's going on". She is confused now as to what my husband told her. She needs a better understanding so she can let underwriting know how to rate the policy. Not all that complicated. Still married, live in different states with totally separate lives. Those are the facts.

Name the insurance company. Are you talking about an independent agent or an agent who is an employee of the company? Are they even telling the truth about what an "underwriter" wants? An underwriter with half a brain should have put something in writing about the requirement since there was a threat of cancellation involved.

Did your husband receive a written notice from the insurance company itself?

A written notice from the agent?

Are they even telling the truth about what an "underwriter" wants?

Better yet, it is rarely a good idea to conduct any financial related matters via the telephone.

Before you do, or agree to do ANYTHING, always make sure you have received a copy of the contract you're being asked to sign.

Before affixing your signature to anything make sure you have read the document and understand it.

If you don't understand it, seek the counsel of an attorney you've retained to protect your interests.

It generally useless (often harmful) to seek important advice from strangers.

Yet people seek our advice all day every day.

What would we do with ourselves if they didn't? (Rhetorical.)

Nothing you have alleged is untrue.

I liken certain actions to what I term "instantaneous responses".

Many must have an immediate answer, Google, Yahoo, Duck Duck Go, or Bing "like" response to difficult life quandaries.

Agent for State Farm. It was the account manager who first said it was the law and if I don't give my DL# they would cancel his account. Then she said (after my contentious phone conversation with her) that I am not listed as a driver or financially responsible in any way, just "listed" on the policy. None of it makes any sense. The supervisor emailed me after I told them I contacted the state insurance commission and would file a complaint. Looking at all the wording they use (State Farm "could have chosen" to cancel) it all sounds subjective.

I will call her on Monday as she requested. This is just silly. He has adult kids who don't live with him. They asked nothing about that.

Name the insurance company. Are you talking about an independent agent or an agent who is an employee of the company? Are they even telling the truth about what an "underwriter" wants? An underwriter with half a brain should have put something in writing about the requirement since there was a threat of cancellation involved.

Did your husband receive a written notice from the insurance company itself?

A written notice from the agent?

I spent two years as an adjuster in the State Farm claims department. I found that most of the agents barely knew the names of the policies they were selling. Your husband must have scraped the bottom of the barrel to get that one. LOL.

I'm guessing you haven't seen your husband's policy yet.

Disregard the policy section I posted earlier. I looked up State Farm auto policy booklets from several states (couldn't find one for CT) and they all have this wording:

upload_2021-11-7_8-21-34.png

That you can show that you are no longer a resident in the named insured's household should eliminate any need for you to be on the policy.

Thanks for the information. It's been very helpful. I'll ask my husband to send me a pic of this. Thanks again. I'll share what I learn after talking to the supervisor/agent. Should be interesting.

So the agent said that she would check with underwriting to see what they could do and get right back to me. Tick tock, tick tock...It's all subjective as to what they will do or not do.

Back