Marriage of an EU citizen living in the US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiki9388

Ok so a few things you should know. First I am an EU citizen living currently in the US on a visa. I do not work. I live with my parents and I live with my parents who claim me as a single when filing taxes ( 90% sure )

I want to get married to my boyfriend (who is also a non resident) in his country and we go to my home embassy to do this. I do not want my parents to know of this, at least not now. I have my reasons so please don't lecture me about this. We are going to tell them at the end or beginning of the year when he comes down to visit. I think it's better to tell them together in person rather than via skype or something, right? And for those of you who are thinking that I would be lying to the guests that we are already married when we have our ceremony I will say this : to be legally married in his country couples do the paperwork to be legally married first at city hall, or in our case the embassy. Everyone already knows you are technically married when the ceremony takes place.

My concern is of course them finding out. The only way I can think of this happening is maybe when they file my taxes or by immigration issues. If they file me as single is it still noticeable to the IRS as we are marrying out of the country, we are both non residents and on top of that I don't even work? it's not like he will be claiming me as its different in his country so I won't have two claims. Also does anyone know if this could cause complications with my visa and with immigration? if so what? Sorry if my facts may be wrong. I admit I don't know much about this. Please be kind.

Thank you everyone in advance for you help sorry I wrote a lot.

Last edited:
I think you really need to investigate the effects of a marriage on your visa or eligibility to become a citizen in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back