K Visa Marriage in France legal in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

19stephanie

My husband, who is French, and I (US citizen) got married in Paris in 2002 (a civil ceremony in the courthouse) and then moved to the US a year later. My husband received his "green card" and all other legal documents for residency in the US. We never sent our marriage license to a local courthouse in the United States because we assumed our marriage was legal in the US since the BCIS (INS) approved my husband's visa, etc. Now we are on the verge of a divorce and I want to know: Since we never announced our French marriage to the United States with the proper documentation, is our marriage even legal here in the states? Do we even have to go through a formal divorce in the US---in the courts' eyes, we may not even be legally married? Please keep in mind, though, he DID receive permission to move to the United States legally through the BCIS. Thanks for any advice.

The general rule is: if the marriage is valid in France, that is, if you followed all the rules and regulations there, then it is also valid here. Therefore you will have to go through formal divorce proceedings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back