Marrage and a 3rd in the relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamish

My wife and I are married in the state of Texas. This is a licensed marrage of 12 years standing - not a common law marrage.

A single woman has moved in with us and in our house hold we are basically living as a 3 person relationship. We are NOT putting the 3rd person on any legal papers claiming her as a "wife" for such things as Insurance, IRS or any other document for state, federal government or employment. With close friends we are not hiding our relationship and the phrase 2nd wife has come up more than once.

Is there any possibility that with Texas "common law marrage" rules that we could be in danger of running into problems with Bigamy laws or other charges? I know if you are not currently married just calling someone a spouse can open up common law issues - but since I am already married and my wife and I are living with this 3rd in a mutual relationship does this become a problem? I do understand that any person in a relationship can cause private civil issues is someone gets bent out of shape - I am just concerned with outside government intervention.

No, this would not be a common law relationship since you are legally married. This woman is entitled to nothing if the relationship ends, but would you be able to legally throw her out on the street if you broke it off with her? Probably not without giving her some notice. She might be protected under some sort of landlord/tenant law.

This sounds like a bad idea in general. Things like this can turn ugly.

I understand the general problems with any kind of relationship, married or not - two , three or more, when someone is living with you. Unfortuantly, about the only way to avoid those would be to never associate with anyone.

My main concern is wondering if a local DA could every get it in their head to try to charge me with bigamy if someone got offended and brougt our relationship to his/her attention.

No, a common law marriage is when 2 people are in an exclusive relationship AND living together as husband AND wife. It does not apply to you and this 3rd person because you bascially having an affair with somebody living under your roof.

Who is the one bringing this legal stuff up?

No one - just looking ahead - it is more an academic question from living in an area that tends to produce rather "conservitive" people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back