Marital Separation

T

TinyTot

Jurisdiction
Virginia
My husband and I are separated and moving from our rental home. We have been arguing about who should get the security deposit. I believe it should be me since I am the one that paid for it. He then changed from who it should go be to it should be split evenly. I don't agree with that but I can compromise if he helps getting the house together. However, if he doesn't help with returning the property to a substantial state to receive the deposit, do I have to split it? Or do I even have to split it at all since I paid for it?

My husband and I are separated and moving from our rental home. We have been arguing about who should get the security deposit. I believe it should be me since I am the one that paid for it. He then changed from who it should go be to it should be split evenly. I don't agree with that but I can compromise if he helps getting the house together. However, if he doesn't help with returning the property to a substantial state to receive the deposit, do I have to split it? Or do I even have to split it at all since I paid for it?

You are disputing the deposit.
He was yes, you say conditional upon doing X, Y, and Z.

The court will decide, as the deposit is part of the marital assets, as such, if you can't compromise, the court decides.

Hint: Make it easy, split all your stuff 50/50.
The divorce is what will make you both happier, not a few dollars.
Want him gone, stop squabbling, agreeing to things makes it happen quiver.

Or do I even have to split it at all since I paid for it?

You may have paid for it but if you are both on the lease then the landlord will (if he's smart) make the check out to both of you.

Then it becomes an issue of your division of property during the divorce. If you can't work it out, a judge will make the decision for you.

Back