Alcohol & Drugs: MIP, MIC, Intoxication "marijuana use" and "MIP of tobacco" in Michigan. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

peanut

Hi, I got busted a few months ago and was charged with "marijuana use" and "MIP of tobacco." My court date is scheduled next month sometime, and I have a few questions.

What is the absolute worst punishment for the "marijuana use" charge? It is a misdemeanor and I did not get charged with possession. Also, I ended up talking to the cop for a long time after I got the ticket and they started to really like me. They said they will put in a good word for me in court if I have been keeping busy in the summer, and will probably say things like "he's a good, smart kid" etc.

I have been working a little bit over the summer but not much. I have been involved in a few music projects which were very time consuming but I don't know if the judge will "accept" that. Also, I'll be registering for classes at a local college to make up a biology credit (I'm a high school student) so that'll help my case too. On top of all that, I plan on bringing in my current grades to show the judge. By the time my court date rolls around, school would have been in session for about 5 weeks and I am going to get straight As so I think that will impress the judge. I'm not taking all blowoff classes, either. I guess I am pretty well-spoken and come off as a polite, nice kid who doesn't get in much trouble (which is true). And I have no criminal history.

Oh, and I'll pass my drug tests.

So what do you guys think the most likely punishment will be, given all that information? Probation? Community service? Drug classes?

I'm also aware that first-time marijuana offenders in the state of Michigan are eligible for "conditional discharge," meaning that if I test clean for a few months, my record will be wiped of the marijuana charge. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep this whole incident from my parents, because being a first generation child with parents from India, my parents are likely to overreact and things like my college funding might be put in jeopardy.

I also got charged with that MIP for tobacco. I realize I'll probably have to pay a fine for that. How much will that be? $50? $100?

Thanks a lot!

Don't be fooled that by joking around with the officers means you'll get a free pass. It's up to the judge and he'll know the full story. I don't know what state you are in but you should hope for some type of probation as you describe, where your record will be wiped clean. That doesn't mean your arrest will disappear and it also isn't something you should take likely. You could expect what you say but be very aware that you had better not have this happen again...

peanut said:
Hi, I got busted a few months ago and was charged with "marijuana use" and "MIP of tobacco." My court date is scheduled next month sometime, and I have a few questions.

What is the absolute worst punishment for the "marijuana use" charge? It is a misdemeanor and I did not get charged with possession. Also, I ended up talking to the cop for a long time after I got the ticket and they started to really like me. They said they will put in a good word for me in court if I have been keeping busy in the summer, and will probably say things like "he's a good, smart kid" etc.

I have been working a little bit over the summer but not much. I have been involved in a few music projects which were very time consuming but I don't know if the judge will "accept" that. Also, I'll be registering for classes at a local college to make up a biology credit (I'm a high school student) so that'll help my case too. On top of all that, I plan on bringing in my current grades to show the judge. By the time my court date rolls around, school would have been in session for about 5 weeks and I am going to get straight As so I think that will impress the judge. I'm not taking all blowoff classes, either. I guess I am pretty well-spoken and come off as a polite, nice kid who doesn't get in much trouble (which is true). And I have no criminal history.

Oh, and I'll pass my drug tests.

So what do you guys think the most likely punishment will be, given all that information? Probation? Community service? Drug classes?

I'm also aware that first-time marijuana offenders in the state of Michigan are eligible for "conditional discharge," meaning that if I test clean for a few months, my record will be wiped of the marijuana charge. Keep in mind I'm trying to keep this whole incident from my parents, because being a first generation child with parents from India, my parents are likely to overreact and things like my college funding might be put in jeopardy.

I also got charged with that MIP for tobacco. I realize I'll probably have to pay a fine for that. How much will that be? $50? $100?

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back