Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse Marijuana possession charge with valid medical recommendation

P

parad0x

Jurisdiction
California
I'm a student at UC Santa Cruz. I live on campus, and was attending the annual 420 celebration held in a meadow on campus. I was not participating, as I had work shortly after, but did have a 1/2 oz, a pipe, and a grinder in my bag along with my medical recommendation. The group I was with was approached by campus police and we all received tickets for possession of marijuana (H&S 11357(b) - possession of less than 1oz) and the officers confiscated everything. When I presented my recommendation, I was told it didn't matter and to bring it up in court. Another person in the group, who had about 3g, was given the same ticket, but his was marked as an infraction, whereas mine was marked as a misdemeanor. If I am convicted of a misdemeanor, I am at risk of losing my financial aid. Since it was on a college campus, I'm not sure what to expect in court- if it will be dropped to an infraction, why mine is a misdemeanor while someone else who possessed an amount in the same category (<1oz) received an infraction, or what showing the judge my medical recommendation (which has been valid for months before the incident) will do to help my case, if anything. What am I looking at here?

I'm a student at UC Santa Cruz. I live on campus, and was attending the annual 420 celebration held in a meadow on campus. I was not participating, as I had work shortly after, but did have a 1/2 oz, a pipe, and a grinder in my bag along with my medical recommendation. The group I was with was approached by campus police and we all received tickets for possession of marijuana (H&S 11357(b) - possession of less than 1oz) and the officers confiscated everything. When I presented my recommendation, I was told it didn't matter and to bring it up in court. Another person in the group, who had about 3g, was given the same ticket, but his was marked as an infraction, whereas mine was marked as a misdemeanor. If I am convicted of a misdemeanor, I am at risk of losing my financial aid. Since it was on a college campus, I'm not sure what to expect in court- if it will be dropped to an infraction, why mine is a misdemeanor while someone else who possessed an amount in the same category (<1oz) received an infraction, or what showing the judge my medical recommendation (which has been valid for months before the incident) will do to help my case, if anything. What am I looking at here?

Marijuana isn't LEGAL in this country despite the medical marijuana claims and cute cards.

If you wish to protect your formerly pristine criminal record don't carry dried, greenish colored plant life around and the necessary paraphernalia with which you get a fix.

You appear in court when and where directed.
You plead not guilty, you don't discuss the case, be polite, and receive instructions as to your next steps.

Be smart, don't bring the weed and pipe to court.
Don't USE before you arrive, and for goodness sake, make sure you don't arrive with aroma of weed smoke all over your body and clothing.

If you want to lessen the pain, don't discuss what allegedly happened to others. Keep your mind and eyes on your problem. You'll probably need a lawyer, unless the prosecutor offers you a deal. Even if you get such an offer, it's best to discuss it with a lawyer before agreeing.

Your state has made it legal for you to have/use marijuana, however the federal government has not. If your school wants to continue to receive federal funds, they must follow federal law. Same with employers and other places which receive federal money. That means, while you are on campus, it is illegal for you to possess or use marijuana. Federal trumps state. Most colleges have a legal aid office or some sort of legal services available to students. I highly suggest making use of yours.

Further, any privately owned establishment may also opt to follow federal law and not permit the use or possession of marijuana on their property. Before you partake anywhere but your own home, know the rules.

Attending such an event when you have funding for school at stake was a very poor choice. You might want to check with your school's financial aid office to see what options are available.

I am at risk of losing my financial aid.

Boohoo...The fear of that risk should have been considered prior to your actions. CA law bans the use of cannabis within 1000 feet of a school. It is still illegal in the eyes of the federal government and colleges that wish to be eligible for federal funding must have anti-drug policies in place and adhere to federal laws regarding drug possession and use. Good luck with your excuse/defense that you were only in attendance and not "participating".

Back