Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Lying to the police (consequences?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrison_BC

I currently attend college and have never been arrested before. I am now in a very worrying predicament...

I'm charged with a misdemeanor in retail theft at a clothing store (4 items totaling between $300 - $400) which is a felony in my state but the State Attorney brought it down to a misdemeanor. Whew

But, here's my other problem....

I walked out the store with 2 jackets and 2 belts, where I was immediately confronted by security outside

I was then led down to the store's security office where I gave back the two jackets and the belt around my stomach. I didn't realize about the OTHER belt at that time because it was actually inserted through the loops of my jeans.

It was at the police station much later that they alerted me of the second belt. I froze in shock upon realization that I still had stolen merchandise on me. I didn't admit to it at first because I was so scared. After they started questioning me more about it, I finally admitted it was stolen and gave it back.

They thought that I knew the entire time about the belt and the police said they will use this against me in court.
One officer proceeded to yell and curse at me

Now, will there be jail time for lying to the LP and police in this situation? If not, then what are the fines and community service hours?

Thank you so much. I eagerly await answers for I am extremely worried

(my court date is in a month)

Last edited:
This is why you don't talk to police. And yes, they all curse and throw fits to scare the hell out of you.(Sometimes it's not an act, again, don't talk to them)

You had every right to keep your mouth shut.

If they wanted to be real SOB's about it, I'm sure they could find a charge or two for not being honest. But, since you waived all of your rights to start with, and confessed, they don't need to bring other charges.

I doubt you will do any jail time. Probably fine, some kind of "probation" and pay restitution(if any).

Hey thanks for the reply

I simply wanted to show respect to the officer. I felt that keeping my mouth shut would just make me look even more guilty. (is that true?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back