Lying roommate

Heyyy

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hello i rent a room with private bathroom from the owner of a condo who also lives there. When I first went to look at the place he told me he was going out on buisiness for three to four months so that was a plus and the main reason I wanted to rent from him. After the lease was signed and I paid my rent he told me that he actually wasn't going out on business. He was probably going to jail for a dui. I had already signed the lease and just moved in for a new job I got three hrs away from home. So I stayed. After the first couple of days I noticed that he got drunk everyday and it made me feel uncomfortable I am twenty nine female and he's like sixty so I stayed in my room most of the time because he would get drunk and loud and I didn't want to be around that. When I told him to turn his music down or not to be so loud he said if you don't like it move out. And four months and a couple arguments later he finally said I should find another place to live he was upset I never talked to him said hi or bye to him and he was upset that I was uncomfortable that he would get drunk and loud five nights a week so he said I'll give you your deposit back this is not a good fit. so I paid February month to him to give me time to move and when I found another place I let him know feb tenth that this is my last month and I would like my deposit like we agreed so I moved most of my stuff and I get a message from a gal friend of his telling me specific things I need to clean from my room and bathroom before I get my deposit back. So that tells me she and he were in my room and bathroom. Ofcourse the room and bathroom need to be cleaned I know that but I'm still there till the end of feb even though im between homes rt now. I have a feeling he's not gonna give me bck my deposit. I am wondering what can I do or can I do anything to fight for my deposit. This was definitely a lesson learned. Lease was from October to March thirty first but he told me to move out and he would give me back my deposit so I did.

If it wasn't in proper form and written, he'll deny everything.

You could waste your time suing in small claims court chasing a few dollars that'll you'll never see again.

Count the loss as another life lesson and be happy you're about to be free without being a crime victim.

Another lesson here, people lie, don't bank on everyone telling you the truth.

Finally, adult roommate scenarios rarely ever develop or end as planned.

You serve yourself best by renting an apartment in your name only, or a hotel room, if your finances are weak.

Until he refuses your deposit there is nothing to do but clean and request it. In a situation like this he might give it right away, but you may have to wait up to 3 weeks from the time you move out. If you still don't have it and he is unresponsive to you, then go to small claims.

Back