Business Debt, Collections Losses Agreement

M

MsMarvel

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I used to work for Nordstrom. I abused the employee discount and got fired. I admitted that I just wanted to help a friend out. At the time I didn't fully comprehend what would happen and I signed an agreement without any consultation. They asked me to pay back money for the discount used which added up to around 1500. I didn't give it much thought at the time but there were a few weird things on there. One of the item, another employee gave me the wrong discount, which clearly wouldn't be my fault. One item had already been returned prior to the agreement itself but I didn't notice. One I used my brother's credit card. Two were gifts. Now, they did say that I have to use my own money to use the discounts, which I sort of did and didnt. My sister, friends, and I compiled our money together to buy Christmas gifts. So it was my money but it also wasn't my money. The rules were black and white but I feel that my situation was kind of grey. After they demanded so much money I couldnt afford to pay back the demand. So I asked if I could just return the items. The Lost Prevention person said I could possibly return it with her. But I came back to the store later on with the items while on lunch break to return them but she wasn't there. And she wouldn't let anyone else do the returns so I had to come back another time. I was super late to work so my manager wouldn't allow me to go anymore. After that I called the store multiple times for a few days to see when I could come but she was never there. I needed the money so I went and returned it elsewhere myself. When I finally got a hold of her, I was told that I still needed to pay the money because I didn't return them with her.

Anyhow, eventhough I barely even make enough money to feed myself, I'm perfectly okay with having to pay for the item I admitted I bought with abused discount. But the rest I feel is unfair.

In my opinion, the rules regarding the discount are clear but not really. First off, let''s say my sister wants to buy me a purse. She could just hand over her bank card to me but that would make it a violation since it's not "my" money. But if she'd just give the money to me to go buy it myself, suddenly it''s not a violation since it's my money. The results are them same nevertheless, I get a purse either way. Additionally, according to the Nordstrom lady, I can't borrow anyone's money to buy myself stuff with the discount but it's perfectly fine if I used my own credit card. Even though the money in my credit card wouldn't exactly be mine. Technically, I'd be borrowing this money from the bank.

Your opinion doesn't matter to your former employer.
If you believe you were harmed, sue the retailer.
If you file a chapter 7 bankruptcy, the debt would probably be discharged.
Words won't help you, only proper actions can possibly assist you.
Good luck.

Unless they take you to court and a judge orders you to pay them you are not obligated to pay a single penny.
If you have a receipt showing the return of the merchandise you should hold on to that as it could reduce the amount owed if you are ever sued.
It seems this has been going on for at least several days so law enforcement involvement is probably unlikely.
Personally I'd stop contacting them, stay out of their stores, and do my best to completely disappear from their world. Don't reply to phone calls, letters, or anything other than a summons to court.

There rules may seem unfair and they do sound rather odd, but it doesn't matter. You knew what the rules were and you broke them.

Back