1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice

Long Term Assignment to Another Country while on H1-B Visa H Visa

Discussion in 'Investment, Work Visa' started by drexel, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drexel

    drexel Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    I am working for the Los Angeles office of an international engineering firm under H1-B Visa. I have a PhD from a major US university in the field I am working. I have completed my first three years and extended my H1-B visa for another two years. I have completed the first year of this two year extention.

    My company decided to send me to the Hong Kong office of our company to gain experience on a specific topic. This is a two year assignment. I have been told that, my H1-B visa clock will "stop and resume back" after two years.

    My company will also start my my Permanent Residency (Green Card) application when I am on my assignment.

    1. Is there such a thing of "stopping and resuming the H1-B Visa"? Is this possible? If so, what is this process called?
    2. If it is possible, what is this paperwork that needs to be filed with USCIS to "stop and resume H1-B"?
    3. What paperwork I should keep with me while leaving US, so that I will not have any problem when entering US with H1-B?
    4. Is there any problem being sponsored for Permanent Residency while I am in another country?

    Many Thanks
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    You should speak with an immigration attorney.
    Or, you should speak DIRECTLY and PERSONALLY with US Immigration Officials.
    You are being misled, misdirected, or being given erroneous information.
    There are MANY restrictions on what H1B workers can do.
    One of those restrictions has to do with LEAVING the US to work in another country, even while employed with the company sponsoring your H1B visa.

    This website may be of some value:


    I suggest you inquire and then speak withy our employer.
    You may be jeopardizing your future rights to reenter the US, let alone your potentail Green Card and citizenship opportunites by doing what your employer proposes!

Share This Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.