LoJack for New car was Never installed.. Loan is now Paid, so is a Refund Possible?

LynB

Jurisdiction
California
I bought a New BMW in 2016 and the dealer charged me $2,000 for LoJack to be installed, the dealer said the credit union prefer I have it.. (Right after this purchase I moved a few times and went thru a divorce, so this uninstalled LoJack purchase totally slip my mind..) I reviewed my purchase contract last month to refinance this car loan for a lower payment, and that's when I was reminded of this unresolved transaction.. My original loan has been paid off and I even purchased a new GAP insurance from the credit union for the new loan.. Now that my original loan is paid off I will request a refund from the dealer for the original GAP insurance.. Still that original loan included $2,000 charges for LoJack I never got, of course at this point I Prefer a Refund from the dealer.. I'd very much appreciate your advise on what are my rights to a refund at this point..??

the dealer said the credit union prefer I have it..

tumblr_owgpdcNTtM1uz4iv0o1_400.png

so this uninstalled LoJack purchase totally slip my mind.

So far it seems this is only your fault.

Now that my original loan is paid off

The status of the loan is irrelevant.

Still that original loan included $2,000 charges for LoJack I never got

You might search that contract for a time period during which you were to have the equipment installed. If you are outside a set time limit you likely have no recourse.
If there is nothing about the time indicated then you could certainly ask for a refund, but don't expect to get it. More likely you would get an offer to install the equipment now, possibly at additional cost as the equipment probably costs more now than it did then.

If it were me I would go to the dealership and talk to the management about it... nicely. The ONLY way I see you getting anything resembling a refund would be an offer to mark down the purchase of a new vehicle. You should not expect cash.

Agreed, you bought and paid for a product and insulation of something that they never installed.

They owe you both the product and installation.
Particularly since the failure to install is because of the OP's actions, not the dealer's.

Back