Location of startup business problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noyes

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hello,
I am currently in the process of forming a small design startup from home. However, my problem is that I live in a motel, can a person start their business from a motel room? It is a separate office room apart from my personal. Will this cause me problems with zoning, licensing, etc? I figure that since restaurants are legal to open their business inside motel/hotels would this be a similar situation at all?

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hello,
I am currently in the process of forming a small design startup from home. However, my problem is that I live in a motel, can a person start their business from a motel room? It is a separate office room apart from my personal. Will this cause me problems with zoning, licensing, etc? I figure that since restaurants are legal to open their business inside motel/hotels would this be a similar situation at all?
With regard to zoning and licensing, that might depend upon the business. Motels and hotels are zoned. The restaurants don't just pop up there magically.

Technically, unless your area is a "mixed" zoning (for business and residential), your opening a business would be illegal. Yes, many run them and that is because enforcement is mostly impossible.

For the most part, who gets shut down? Those who are annoyances to the neighbors, e.g. UPS trucks with deliveries all day to your home. You may be in a mixed zoning since you're in a motel and it seems more likely than not you are. You should be able to open a design business but to incorporate you would need a place for "service of process." Frequently the secretary of state (government official) can serve as the company's contact where legal notices can be sent, e.g. someone sues your business. You should be able to also get an address from mailbox companies who specialize in this as well and it might do better for you since it will detract attention from the motel personnel who may not like this, whether or not legal.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back