Consumer Law, Warranties Loaned my ex-boyfriend money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobinMac

Started dating my ex- in June, paid off some fines he owed inthe amount of 508.00. He said he would pay me back. I have the court receipt as well as my credit card receipts from the transaction. We are no longer together and I have repeatedly ask for the repayment of the loan. He hasn't paid the loan and says that I gave it as a gift. Under what Code of Virginia should I start researching the case. And does anyone have any case law that would hlp me out?
Thanks

RobinMac said:
Started dating my ex- in June, paid off some fines he owed inthe amount of 508.00. He said he would pay me back. I have the court receipt as well as my credit card receipts from the transaction. We are no longer together and I have repeatedly ask for the repayment of the loan. He hasn't paid the loan and says that I gave it as a gift. Under what Code of Virginia should I start researching the case. And does anyone have any case law that would hlp me out?
Thanks
This is difficult. You should sue him in small claims court. This is quite a bit of money and you can claim that of course it wasn't a gift. The presumption is that money given is not gift but a loan and I'm guessing that you weren't in the habit of paying large amounts for each other or gifts of this magnitude. A good deal of your credibility will be based upon when you had agreed he would pay you back. Was it in a month, two months? If you don't have a real date then the appearance might be that it was a "gift" because you really didnt care too much as to when he would pay you back and that could be indefinitely. I don't think that was the case here but this should provide you with a good insight as to how to get your money back. You should send him a demand letter first via a certified method of mailing. Let us know how everything turns out and good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back