Listed as a Defendant in foreclosure

jrsss

Jurisdiction
New York
My parents home is in foreclosure. Yesterday I received mail addressed to me, listing me as a defendant in their case. I have not lived there in 8 years, nor am I on the deed or mortgage to the house. I'm concerned that I'm listed as a defendant. Some basic google searches led me to believe maybe I am included if the bank thinks I still live there, and the property is of interest to me. I'm hoping that's all it is and there are no legal ramifications for me. Can anyone shed some light?

They err on the side of listing everybody who might have any interest in the property. They don't want to be in the position of foreclosing and then finding out they missed some owner with a fraction. As an potential heir, you qualify.

There are no legal ramifications for you. If you contact them you may be able to quit claim away any interest and get off of it.

My parents home is in foreclosure. Yesterday I received mail addressed to me, listing me as a defendant in their case. I have not lived there in 8 years, nor am I on the deed or mortgage to the house. I'm concerned that I'm listed as a defendant. Some basic google searches led me to believe maybe I am included if the bank thinks I still live there, and the property is of interest to me. I'm hoping that's all it is and there are no legal ramifications for me. Can anyone shed some light?

They are likely just covering their bases for any ownership interest you might have that they didn't know about. The lender cannot sue you for any deficiency after the foreclosure because you were not one of the borrowers.

My parents home is in foreclosure. Yesterday I received mail addressed to me, listing me as a defendant in their case.

What exactly did you receive?

Some basic google searches led me to believe maybe I am included if the bank thinks I still live there, and the property is of interest to me.

Does whatever you received not explained why you're named?

I have some thoughts, but I'll wait for you to clarify things.

They never explain why you're named in the filing. You just get a long list of names of owners or potential owners.

Back