Life tenancy, life estate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskimobutterfly

A friend of the family helped me purchase a house 14 years ago. A year later he said he was losing his home, I brought him to live with me. At this time he is 74 and I am 38. The deed and all paper work has both of our names as owners. I am worried with his age and health that if he required long term care I could lose the house to pay for his medical expenses. He has no insurance or family. He will not sign a quit claim unless I agree to life tenancy for he and my own mother(she is not interested). Again we are not related, we have never had a relationship other than friends, I brought him to live with me after he "lost" his own home. I have made all mortgage payments, property taxes and utilities. I am very grateful for his assistance in purchasing this house, I don't want to lose all the equity in this home to pay for his expenses. He has extensive credit card debt, and his only income is social security. How can I protect myself?

I'm not an attorney but the old guy does not appear to be senile. He has been with you for 13 years and owns half of the property. Sounds like his request is a reasonalble one. I would advise you to consult an elder care attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back