Liens on Condo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgia06

I own a condo and I am about to sell it and close on it in a week. The closing attorney found out that there is 2 liens on my property by the attorney's for the management company. A couple years ago I got divorced and also lost my job so I felt behind on my homeowners association payments. They sued me , I had a court date for the civil action of may3/05. But the lawyer and I signed a consent order on May2/05. The same day I went to make my first payment as agreed in the order at the management company offices(got receipt & copy of the check). I went every month since then to the management offices and made my payments on time and in may this year asked for the amount to pay off this account, the property manager spoke to the lawyer's office & then I made what I though was my last payment .
But a few days ago when I called to the attorney's office, the paralegal told me that was too bad that the consent order was never taken to the court. They placed a lien on my property on may 9/05 so therefore the consent order is not valid (I have the copy signed by the lawyer and myself) and she also said I still owing money, including interest since the date of the lie n(or like the paper says "WRIT OF FIERI FACIAS"). Things Did not stop there, seems like they filed a second lien on my property on March 6/06 (the paper says " NOTICE OF STATUTORY LIEN"). The management company says that I do not owe anything, the paralegal doesn't recognize the consent order and says that at my closing I have to pay $2000 to pay off this account.
I have contacted the lawyer that signed, but he has not returned my calls & his paralegal doesn't recognice the consent order because I was never taken to court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back