license suspended $1700 fine

Kaylyn

Jurisdiction
California
My husband and I were separated. I don't have a vehicle and my daughter & granddaughter needed a ride. I asked my husband if he could but when he came to pick me up he had been drinking. So I drove. After picking my daughter & granddaughter up I got pulled over and ticketed for him not having insurance or current registration. I am not working He would not pay the fine so after so long they increased it to the $1700. The truck is not in my name. The court house would not arrange payments for me due to no income. I wrote the court commissioner and I got a letter back saying to make arrangements to pay the full fine. Is this right? My husband later got another ticket for no tags or insurance and he wrote the commissioner and they reduced his fine to $25.00. What did I do wrong? .

You got behind the wheel without verifying current registration and insurance, that's what you did wrong.

And are you really believing what your estranged, alcoholic husband is telling you?

What did I do wrong?

You drove an improperly licensed vehicle that didn't have the required insurance.

You were convicted of the charges on the citation(s).

You failed to pay your fines.

Guess what will happen next?

Your driving privileges could be revoked.

Yes He got out of it that easy. I seen the letter he received back from the commissioners office. It stated his fine was reduced to $25.00. and your right, I did get into his truck without verifying if he had insurance and was up to date on his registration. I wasn't thinking, so ok I have to accept the consequences of my actions but what I don't understand and what bothers me is that my husband has gotten tickets in the past for no seatbelt and running a stop sign and he has always gotten by with only having to pay low fines and goes on.He sold his truck so he didn't have to provide proof he got it all taken care of either. I on the other hand had never gotten a ticket and I tried to make arrangements to make payments on my fine. That's what I want to know. What did I do or not do that they wouldn't let me make payments or lower my fine and they did him? Something isn't right. I'm sorry if he had to pay his original fine. He is a contractor and could easily have paid it. Thank you for your input. I'm not wanting an answer now, just venting I guess.

My husband and I were separated. I don't have a vehicle and my daughter & granddaughter needed a ride. I asked my husband if he could but when he came to pick me up he had been drinking. So I drove. After picking my daughter & granddaughter up I got pulled over and ticketed for him not having insurance or current registration. I am not working He would not pay the fine so after so long they increased it to the $1700. The truck is not in my name. The court house would not arrange payments for me due to no income. I wrote the court commissioner and I got a letter back saying to make arrangements to pay the full fine. Is this right? My husband later got another ticket for no tags or insurance and he wrote the commissioner and they reduced his fine to $25.00. What did I do wrong? .
Maybe you should go to the Court that has jurisdiction over your case and face the judge in person and ask him if you can make payments because it is impossible for you to come up with the total amount of the fine! Something is amiss here because I've never heard of a Court NOT allowing one to make payments on a large fine such as yours!

Back