License & Registration

S

Summer time

Jurisdiction
Utah
What can happen if I License & Register a vehicle for a family member. They are going thru tough times right now.

More details, please.

What is the family member's relationship to you?
Are you going to own it (title in your name)?
Register it in your name?
Insure it in your name?
Pay for it, either in cash, or take out a loan in your name?

And then just let them use it?

Something else?

What can happen if I License & Register a vehicle for a family member. They are going thru tough times right now.

Most NICE people who decide to do such a charitable deed, generally get screwed.
Many find themselves stuck with a mountain of camera vehicle citations, parking violations, traffic citations, maybe saddled with a personal injury lawsuit, in some cases that's PLURAL.

Smart people, who wish to protect their assets, simply say, "I'm so sorry, Cousin Lillie, but I can't do that for you. I can give you this $50 gift, hope it can help you in some way, and I'll be praying for you, too!"

At least you are asking for advice before you act. Very smart! The answers to AdjusterJack's questions are very important!

I have a feeling he may be asking about registering the vehicle in his name. Bad idea! But that's why we need more information.

I have a feeling he may be asking about registering the vehicle in his name.

Yes, I know. That's why I said if he wants to basically give them a car he should pay them the money and let them register it themselves.

If there is some legal reason that they are unable to register a car in their own name then he shouldn't put himself at risk by doing what he's asking about.

Back