liability of person talking to driver on cell phone if accident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel

What might be the criminal or civil lawsuit risk to someone (me) talking to a driver using their cell phone if that driver were to have an accident and cause damage to property or life? Any precedence for this? Is the law evolving such that we might see criminal or civil prosecution of the person (non-driver) on the other end of a cell phone conversation of a driver causing harm to life or property as a result of use of a cell phone while driving?

I don't want to talk to people while they are using their cell phone and driving for two reasons. First, the guilt I would have if they harmed someone while driving and talking to me, knowing I was a part of that equation. Second, the potential criminal or civil risks I might face being part of the phone conversation.

What might be the criminal or civil lawsuit risk to someone (me) talking to a driver using their cell phone if that driver were to have an accident and cause damage to property or life? Any precedence for this? Is the law evolving such that we might see criminal or civil prosecution of the person (non-driver) on the other end of a cell phone conversation of a driver causing harm to life or property as a result of use of a cell phone while driving?

I don't want to talk to people while they are using their cell phone and driving for two reasons. First, the guilt I would have if they harmed someone while driving and talking to me, knowing I was a part of that equation. Second, the potential criminal or civil risks I might face being part of the phone conversation.

It is up to the driver to operate his or her conveyance safely, while obeying all laws.

Besides, you'd never know if someone were driving while chatting with you, would you?

But, if you don't call mobile phones (or text to them), you'd have very little to ever feel guilty about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back